Will the TFS stage 1 cam work with strock valve springs?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
Will the TFS stage 1 cam work with stock valve springs?

I did a search and read that someone said he was running .510" lift on stock valve springs. Is that maxing out the stock springs or what? I want to put a stage 1 in my '65 this winter. I just want to be sure I can use the stock springs with NO troubles. Thanks.

i would say that they would work but stiffer rated springs would work way better, you may get some ramping with higher rpms and wont get a good seal if you use the stock ones. i have the "f" cam .512 lift with 125 pound springs and they work great.

hey, i just noticed your from iowa, what part? i live in shell rock, near waverly

Thanks for the info. I will probably either buy a set of ported heads or port my own heads, so I will probably just go ahead and replace the springs then.

I live near Ottumwa, you're quite a ways away. lol

Denny, where are you from in Iowa? And speed Demon, I'd not take a chance with valve float as the stage 1 has a bit more duration than the stock cam.
Tim

I'd say they will work up until about 5,000 RPM's and then you will experience valve float on your stock springs.... especially if they have high milage on them.

srothfuss said:
I'd say they will work up until about 5,000 RPM's and then you will experience valve float on your stock springs.... especially if they have high milage on them.
I will probably go ahead and change them, then. I like to take her to 5000-5500 a lot. Thanks.

You will need different springs. Yeah, it will run with stockers, but I wouldn't do that. I knew a guy running the F cam with stock springs, .512 lift, floated valves at 4Krpm, then one spring broke a few months later and the valve dropped down and gernaded the motor.

Ouch. I definitely don't want that s**t. lol

TrickFlow sells a valve spring kit for OEM heads that allows you to run .542" lift, costs $130. Looks like a good kit to me.

http://www.trickflow.com/product/camsandvalvetrain/pr_springupgradekits.asp

90mustangGT said:
Very wise grasshopper!!!
Hey, I do what I can.

Hopefully this cam will do some good. I have heard a couple sound clips and they sound pretty sick, but I want some good pull. The engine needs some internal mods, basically. And I'm a broke ass kid, so I can't go too radical yet.

I've broke stock pedestal bolts on some GT40s with stock springs and that cam.. Pick up a take-off set of AFR/Trick Flow springs rated to .550 for cheap...