will this setup work? CAI MAF TB and what RWHP should i see

Tyler Munster

Jun 16, 2010
Boston MA
ok so im trying to figure out what CAI TB MAF Combo will work best for what i got ... iv got a C&L 80mm MAF i plan on going with the denscharger CAI with
100mm Meter Forward 77mm Meter to TB so i plan on going with a bbk 75 mm throttle body attached to a C&L Upper intake plenum . My first question will the MAF be a problem sense its reading 80mm then going to 77 then 75 at the TB?
i plan on putting Hi-tech stag two cams springs bbk shorty's a slp catted x pipe and slp loudmouths and a tune of course and switching the rear over too 3:73s my second Question is What should i expect for RWHP from this setup.

02GT 5 SPD

• Sponsors (?)

That's a huge waste of cash.

Skip the MAF all together until you NEED to upgrade it (as in, boost). If I'm reading it right, I guess you already have it. If you do, might as well put it on - but make sure it's calibrated correctly to your injector size or the car will not run well.

Throttle body and plenum won't make a huge difference. They are one of those things that add on top everything else, but as far as bang for the buck, they're low on the scale. I noticed sharper throttle response and a little more top end pull with mine.

CAI is subjective. If you get one, don't get a chrome or metal intake. It'll hold heat. Get something plastic like K&N or JLT.

The difference in the size of your MAF and TB will not cause a issue. The MAF only reads the air passing through it, nothing behind it.

If you get cams, do your homework. Some people are having issues with HiTech stg. 2 cams on stock engines as far as piston to valve clearance.

Whatever cams you go with, I as well suggest getting longtubes or nothing at all. Shorties are a waste of money and labor.

The most noticeable thing you'll get from that combo is the gears, cams, and longtubes/midpipe.

Ok i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't effect the air fuel ratioand yes i already have themMAF i got it for free basically when i bought a K&N filter for my 96gt on ebay . as for for the headers i went to my local exhaust shop and they said that for what i want from the car is to go with the shorty's as its my D&D for the summer.. i was also told that thier isn't a big difference between the O/R X pipe and the slp catted XPipe is this true?, my sates getting stricter with their inspections

Ok i just wanted to make sure it wouldn't effect yes i already have themMAF i got it for free basically when i bought a K&N filter for my 96gt on ebay . as for for the headers i went to my local exhaust shops and they bolth said that for what i want from the car is to go with the shorty's as its my D&D for the summer.. i was also told that thier isn't a big difference between the O/R X pipe and the slp catted XPipe is this true?, my sates getting stricter with their inspections

Well your local exhaust shops are wrong. On multiple accounts.

Cliffs notes: If you are installing headers, get long tubes. If you are worried about inspections get a catted mid-pipe.

Longer version:
Time and time again long tubes outperform shorties in our cars. Especially if you plan on getting cams down the road, cams love long tubes. I DD my stang winter and summer, no problems w/ my longtubes.

There is a pretty sizeable difference between an o/r x pipe and a catted x pipe. If your state is serious about inspections...the o/r won't past a visual inspection and won't pass a sniffer test. The catted x pipe will pass both. The cats also make a significant change in the way your car sounds, imo catted x pipes sound much smoother / much better than o/r x pipes.

Well your local exhaust shops are wrong. On multiple accounts.

Cliffs notes: If you are installing headers, get long tubes. If you are worried about inspections get a catted mid-pipe.

Longer version:
Time and time again long tubes outperform shorties in our cars. Especially if you plan on getting cams down the road, cams love long tubes. I DD my stang winter and summer, no problems w/ my longtubes.

There is a pretty sizeable difference between an o/r x pipe and a catted x pipe. If your state is serious about inspections...the o/r won't past a visual inspection and won't pass a sniffer test. The catted x pipe will pass both. The cats also make a significant change in the way your car sounds, imo catted x pipes sound much smoother / much better than o/r x pipes.

ill definitely check out the long tubes then i was given the impression that they were for the weekend warrior... cause they asked me if id be doing any racing and when i said just cruse-in and such that's when the shorty's were recommended
i noticed you have a 70MM TB how is it.. i can get a good deal on a 75mm bbk but didnt know if i should hold out for the 75MM any input

I'm from your area and I've been through all this. Listen to stangnet. Ignore this shop you are going to. Who are they by the way?:shrug:

MAF = 0hp
Shortys = 0hp (I made that mistake already). Longtubes FTW
K&N = worth it. Very small gain.
Densecharger, TB, and plenum = maybe 5 to 10hp combined.
Off road X is out in Mass. Has to be catted. I wouldnt get a super loud catback here either. Recommend Magnaflow.

What you should have done is got gears, a tuner and a shifter. WAY better!!!

Shorties "work", just not in the way expect them to. They generally will increase power under the curve, and they are much better than the stock exhaust manifolds as far as efficiency. For example, at 3500RPM on stock exhaust manifolds, the car makes 200rwhp at wide open throttle (not using actual figures), but with a well-designed set of shorties, at 3500RPM the car makes 215rwhp.

They just don't do much (if anything) to raise peak horsepower numbers. On the other hand, longtubes change power under the curve AND generally raise peak horsepower.

But when it comes to making power, especially on a cammed car, shorties cannot touch longtubes.

I'm from your area and I've been through all this. Listen to stangnet. Ignore this shop you are going to. Who are they by the way?:shrug:

MAF = 0hp
Shortys = 0hp (I made that mistake already). Longtubes FTW
K&N = worth it. Very small gain.
Densecharger, TB, and plenum = maybe 5 to 10hp combined.
Off road X is out in Mass. Has to be catted. I wouldnt get a super loud catback here either. Recommend Magnaflow.

What you should have done is got gears, a tuner and a shifter. WAY better!!!

a palce called low cost exhaust one of the guys fro meom thier swings by my work every once and a while so i asked him and thats what he said....

Shorties "work", just not in the way expect them to. They generally will increase power under the curve, and they are much better than the stock exhaust manifolds as far as efficiency. For example, at 3500RPM on stock exhaust manifolds, the car makes 200rwhp at wide open throttle (not using actual figures), but with a well-designed set of shorties, at 3500RPM the car makes 215rwhp.

They just don't do much (if anything) to raise peak horsepower numbers. On the other hand, longtubes change power under the curve AND generally raise peak horsepower.

But when it comes to making power, especially on a cammed car, shorties cannot touch longtubes.

I'd really like to see proof of this.

I'm sure someone has posted a before and after sheet of a shorty header install on here at some point. Doesn't even have to be a 4.6 car.

My dyno sheet didnt change at all with BBK Shorties. No tq, no hp, no SOTP. The only thing it did was change the way the exhaust sounded in a nice way. Complete and utter waste of time and money IMO.:notnice:

If I was this guy, I'd sell the shorties instead of installing them.

I'd really like to see proof of this.

The only decent comparrison I found when I looked a while ago was this article in 5.0 magazine:

Short & Long-Tube Headers Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

The shorty had some gains but the long tubes still won out. Take in mind that this is a stock car they are testing and the midpipe was the same. In the end the long tubes are better. If you are going to spend time installing headers you might as well get long tubes installed. The scavenging from the pulse effect and the equal length tubes with nice flow into the collector at the bottom just plain work better.