WINDOW REPAIRS

INDSKYS

May 24, 2003
CALIFORNIA
hi all wondering if anyone had a source for the rivets and rollers for the wing windows and qurter windows.i want to strip and rechrome both pieces as no one makes em 4 the 68 yet--dammit.but i will need to replace rollers and rivets plus the rivets for the short track assemblies that al;so attach to windows . any sources? or i gotta look at the pits till someone repros. them. am painting car and would like to do now if at all possible . guards red next to rusty chrome will look like crap lol .

• Sponsors (?)

INDSKYS said:
hi all wondering if anyone had a source for the rivets and rollers for the wing windows and qurter windows.i want to strip and rechrome both pieces as no one makes em 4 the 68 yet--dammit.but i will need to replace rollers and rivets plus the rivets for the short track assemblies that al;so attach to windows . any sources? or i gotta look at the pits till someone repros. them. am painting car and would like to do now if at all possible . guards red next to rusty chrome will look like crap lol .

Most of the vent window weatherstrip kits will provide you with the needed rivets in the kit. The window rollers can be obtained at any Mustang parts store.

INDSKYS,
Are you talking about the big plastic rollers that are "permantently" riveted to the quarter frame by big metal rivets? If so, I wasn't able to find any when I did my quarter windows on my 66 and had to fab some up.

Are these the ones you are talking about (the white ones)?

qtrfrm.jpg

Call your local dealers. I was looking for some oddball part once,(don't remember what right now), and none of the Mustang vendors had it. I had to call four dealerships before someone would help. Most will say:oh that's obsolete, you can't get it", or " all of that stuff was trashed years ago". :D Finally, I found a dealership that was helpful and knew their butt from a hole in the ground. I had the part the next week.

mustangdave said:
Call your local dealers. I was looking for some oddball part once,(don't remember what right now), and none of the Mustang vendors had it. I had to call four dealerships before someone would help. Most will say:oh that's obsolete, you can't get it", or " all of that stuff was trashed years ago". :D Finally, I found a dealership that was helpful and knew their butt from a hole in the ground. I had the part the next week.
Edit: Aaack, sorry it would be good for me to comprehend before I post. :bang:

INDSKYS said:
yes them be the ones the no good buggers. lol rollers are fine just need to get em off to rechrome. u think i could find a make do rivet somewhere. or do u have suggestions GP?

I used a nut and a bolt. The problem is that the rivet head that goes into the plastic roller is beveled. I used a button head stainless steel bolt and (IIRC) an AN stainless steel washer (the AN size washer fits inside the lip of the plastic roller). The button head bolt doesn't sit perfectly flush, but it doesn't stick up enough to cause a problem.