wiring issues..

baileygruwell

May 22, 2019
Indiana
so I have a 1988 notch factory 4cyl car that i’m dropping a 94 5.0 ho into, or trying to. i would like to keep it fuel injected. i have a ton of harnesses ranging from engine to lights to injectors and not all of them have the ford ID tags on them so i don’t know what years some came from. i can make out a couple of them, i have two engine harnesses tagged F0ZB which is for a 1990 mustang. i also have what looks to be two 1989 computers, one an a9l and the other an a9p that came with the harnesses. i know the L version is for manual and P for auto. im planning to use the a9l because i’m putting a t5 in it. but my issue is since the computer is from 89 do i have to use a 1989 v8 harness to plug into it, or can i use the 90 harness i have already. also the two harnesses are different but both tagged f0zb. they are similar but have a couple different connections. i planned on reusing the headlight harness and just extending the alternator plug also. wiring has never been my strong suit but i am determined. could not find a thread that explained how to solve my issue so i apologize if this has been answered i just could not find it. any help is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The harness you use is determined by the year of the car. My 88 4 cylinder is using the harness out of my 89 gt. The difference is in the plugs by the booster ( for the most part ). The engine harness you use should connect to two round connectors by the booster. Excuse my rusty booster.

20190616_175820.jpg

These connectors wires run along the firewall, through a large grommet, and into the computer. The ten pin injector harnesses also plug in to this wiring. You want to use whatever harness has these two connectors. The injector harness on the engine is the same. Computers plug in the same but you'd want the 5 speed computer.

Don't forget to pull the jumper connector off the clutch switch harness end, plug it on the switch. If the 4 cylinder car is already a 5 speed then this and the trans harness is done already.

The o2 sensor harnesses are different put can be repinned to work. That harness runs over by the passenger frame rail and runs over to the k member.

Hope this helps.

good news folks, among all of the harnesses i have i think i have scored a pretty good shape 89 harness. and this is one that has no ID tags on it however it has a MAF connector and no white airbag connectors. from what i have read this is the only year that’s like that and 88 and prior do not have the maf connector and 90 and newer have the airbag connectors. if this is the case will this plug and play with my stock 88 4cyl body harness as long as i extend the alt. wiring and plug and play with my a9l computer?

good news folks, among all of the harnesses i have i think i have scored a pretty good shape 89 harness. and this is one that has no ID tags on it however it has a MAF connector and no white airbag connectors. from what i have read this is the only year that’s like that and 88 and prior do not have the maf connector and 90 and newer have the airbag connectors. if this is the case will this plug and play with my stock 88 4cyl body harness as long as i extend the alt. wiring and plug and play with my a9l computer?
It should be plug and play, give it a try.