• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Wolverine 1087

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mustang_Relic
  • Start date Start date Sep 14, 2020
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 14, 2020
#1
  • Sep 14, 2020
  • #1
Wolverine 1087, Blue Racer, Elgin 1018? I know the specs already. What’s the deal with this cam? Some say it’s old school? Many brag about it. Has anyone ever used this cam? Hard to find an idle video. Does anyone have any insight on this?
 

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,641
8,909
234
Birmingham, al
Sep 14, 2020
#2
  • Sep 14, 2020
  • #2
And you’re wanting to know about an old assed cam for what reason? There’s no such thing as a legendary cam. Contact a cam mfg tomorrow to get a current cam that wasn’t made by a NAPA subsidiary in the 90’s...

Welcome to the 21st century.
 
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 14, 2020
#3
  • Sep 14, 2020
  • #3
Ouch
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,530
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Sep 15, 2020
#4
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #4
I see you've met Mike.....

I don't have much more to offer since I have no experience with that cam. Maybe someone will pop in and have something more constructive for you.
 
Reactions: Bigdogs Tony and Ryuk
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 15, 2020
#5
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #5
LILCBRA said:
I see you've met Mike.....

I don't have much more to offer since I have no experience with that cam. Maybe someone will pop in and have something more constructive for you.
Click to expand...
Thank you.
 

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Sep 15, 2020
#6
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #6
CarMichael Angelo said:
And you’re wanting to know about an old assed cam for what reason? There’s no such thing as a legendary cam. Contact a cam mfg tomorrow to get a current cam that wasn’t made by a NAPA subsidiary in the 90’s...

Welcome to the 21st century.
Click to expand...
I'm with Mike on this one...

Google is your friend, what you don't know , Google does...
See https://www.elginind.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Elgin-2018-ProStock-Catalog.pdf
Neither 1018 or 1087 show up in the catalog, so that may mean that the camshaft is no longer being manufactured.

This may be a flat tappet cam. All stock 1985 and later 5.0 pushrod Mustang engines had hydraulic roller tappet cams.
There are a number of things that need to be taken into consideration. Roller tappet camshafts are steel and need to be run with a steel distributor gear. Roller tappets on a flat tappet cam may not work well, this is a trial and error area.

The firing order may be wrong for a 5.0 Mustang HO engine. The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. If you use the stock 5.0 Mustang HO EFI Mass Air Computer with a Non HO firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 ), it will not perform to the stock cam levels. If you are using a Speed Density (1986-1988) computer, it will not run good at all.
 
Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 15, 2020
#7
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #7
The Elgin 1018-P is a hydraulic roller cam. The Lope Sep and duration are almost the same as a TFS2. The lift is about 3 tenths lower. Why is this an outdated cam?
 
Reactions: Bigdogs Tony
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 15, 2020
#8
  • Sep 15, 2020
  • #8
jrichker said:
I'm with Mike on this one...

Google is your friend, what you don't know , Google does...
See https://www.elginind.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Elgin-2018-ProStock-Catalog.pdf
Neither 1018 or 1087 show up in the catalog, so that may mean that the camshaft is no longer being manufactured.

This may be a flat tappet cam. All stock 1985 and later 5.0 pushrod Mustang engines had hydraulic roller tappet cams.
There are a number of things that need to be taken into consideration. Roller tappet camshafts are steel and need to be run with a steel distributor gear. Roller tappets on a flat tappet cam may not work well, this is a trial and error area.

The firing order may be wrong for a 5.0 Mustang HO engine. The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. If you use the stock 5.0 Mustang HO EFI Mass Air Computer with a Non HO firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 ), it will not perform to the stock cam levels. If you are using a Speed Density (1986-1988) computer, it will not run good at all.
Click to expand...
The Elgin 1018-P is a hydraulic roller cam. The Lope Sep and duration are almost the same as a TFS2. The lift is about 3 tenths lower. Why is this an outdated cam?
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,530
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Sep 16, 2020
#9
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #9
Curiosity got the best of me so I googled "wolverine 1087 cam" and come up with a plethora of different forum postings as well as a video. Have you not seen this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bgxTiFhHQ


FFWD to 1:05 to when he actually starts it.
 
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 16, 2020
#10
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #10
LILCBRA said:
Curiosity got the best of me so I googled "wolverine 1087 cam" and come up with a plethora of different forum postings as well as a video. Have you not seen this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bgxTiFhHQ


FFWD to 1:05 to when he actually starts it.
Click to expand...
Yes that's the video I've seen. Does anyone on the forum have any personal experience with the cam? I've seen good comments about it and then I've seen the "Mikes of the world" say its too old to mess with. I've got a new one on my shelf and was looking for input before I make the decision to put it in or not. Most of the posts I've seen are 10+ yrs old. The specs put it between a TFS1 and TFS2. My combination is a GT40 set up.
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,530
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Sep 16, 2020
#11
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #11
As I said, I don't have experience with it. But if you already have it, I don't see a reason to not use it. I ran across this video earlier which actually kinda sums up my feelings on the "old, outdated cam" argument. This one is more specifically targeted toward the B cam, obviously, but the overall sentiment stands true in my opinion.

View: https://youtu.be/w_8esrl1f9E


For the record, I have a B cam that I picked up off craigslist for $20. I intend to use it and NOT shop around for a better cam.
 
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 16, 2020
#12
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #12
I watched that video the other day. BREW2L hit it out of the park with that one.
 
Reactions: LILCBRA

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
27,512
2,813
234
Dublin GA
Sep 16, 2020
#13
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #13
Mustang_Relic said:
The Elgin 1018-P is a hydraulic roller cam. The Lope Sep and duration are almost the same as a TFS2. The lift is about 3 tenths lower. Why is this an outdated cam?
Click to expand...
I am curious: where did you find this information?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,684
213
polk county florida
Sep 16, 2020
#14
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #14
The first video that car sounds good, I also think it has 3" exhaust tail pipes, but it does sound good, loud but nice lope, I stopped when I saw the carb, sorry.
The second video echos my sentiments, if you got it use it.
Was that the cel that lit up in second gear?
 
Reactions: Mustang_Relic

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,530
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Sep 16, 2020
#15
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #15
I think it might have been the brake light, but I'm not sure to be honest.
 

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
10,641
8,909
234
Birmingham, al
Sep 16, 2020
#16
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #16
Mustang_Relic said:
The Elgin 1018-P is a hydraulic roller cam. The Lope Sep and duration are almost the same as a TFS2. The lift is about 3 tenths lower. Why is this an outdated cam?
Click to expand...
Oh,.I don’t know..Why is a 89 5.0 an out dated engine? I’m guessing the cam grinders of the world should just stop making new sht for this engine, because they’ve already figured it out back in 1990.
Run what you want dude, just don’t come on here telling me that people “ brag” about the 30 year old cam that you are considering putting into your engine. Nothing is special about it..As you’ve stated, it’s just like every other similar grind that was offered when Vanilla Ice and Milli Vannilli were popular.
 

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
Mod Dude
Dec 6, 2005
6,530
5,525
194
Corn County USA
Sep 16, 2020
#17
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #17
He wasn't necessarily wrong about people "bragging" about it. But the posts that I actually looked at were pretty old. I think the purpose of his post is to find anyone with first hand experience to get their opinions.

But I also agree, it's probably nothing special in today's world. Will it work? I'm sure it will. Will it be the hottest thing out there? Not by a long shot anymore. Just like the B cam - or any other alphabet cam for that matter.
 
Reactions: Mustang_Relic

96pushrod

I think they're a little easier to get off
5 Year Member
May 15, 2018
1,530
872
133
Savannah
Sep 16, 2020
#18
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #18
I’d take a Wolverine 1087 over a b, e, or f303 cam. On a 302 with some mods it would be a decent cam.
 
Reactions: MustangJoe413
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 16, 2020
#19
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #19
jrichker said:
I am curious: where did you find this information?
Click to expand...
 

Attachments

  • 24F5BE66-F109-47BD-853B-77F4CEC6342A.webp
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,274
M

Mustang_Relic

Member
Jul 12, 2020
16
8
13
North Carolina
Sep 16, 2020
#20
  • Sep 16, 2020
  • #20
CarMichael Angelo said:
Oh,.I don’t know..Why is a 89 5.0 an out dated engine? I’m guessing the cam grinders of the world should just stop making new sht for this engine, because they’ve already figured it out back in 1990.
Run what you want dude, just don’t come on here telling me that people “ brag” about the 30 year old cam that you are considering putting into your engine. Nothing is special about it..As you’ve stated, it’s just like every other similar grind that was offered when Vanilla Ice and Milli Vannilli were popular.
Click to expand...
You’re a trip man. So this is a car thats older than you. The alphabet cams, TFS1/2, wolverine whatever are all POS. What are fox guys using on these out of date 5.0’s these days? Besides a crusher.
 
  • 1
  • 2
Next
1 of 2 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Preparation for Holley Terminator X install – Foxbody 306 (electrical fan, alternator, MSD Ignition, etc)
  • So_Flo
  • Mar 1, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Mar 4, 2026
General karthief
Fox Xtremely high fuel consumption
  • PonyGTrider
  • Apr 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 9 10 11
Replies
213
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 9, 2026
PonyGTrider
S
Requesting Guidance for 306 motor swap - Fuel? - SD? MAF?
  • So_Flo
  • Jul 26, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jan 4, 2026
Mcmahst
5
Hello Everyone !
  • 5150K
  • Jul 3, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
146
The Welcome Wagon Jul 3, 2026
5150K
5
J
Hello all, I have returned from a hiatus... Update and Questions
  • JackH
  • Aug 13, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
6
Views
394
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Aug 15, 2025
JackH
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?