Work horror stories

• Sponsors (?)

I work at my families dry cleaners.
We have had a few times when the "illegal aliens" forgot to double check each individual piece of clothing before it went into the dry cleaning maching. The agitation of the machine has ruptured some pens and ink has destroyed some of our customers clothing. Armini Exchange, Lillys dresses, and other wicked expensive clothing suck to replace...

I got a couple from work. I work at a caol fired power plant and the most powerful unit broke down, so instead of using 10,000 tons of coal per day we were only using about 4,000 tons. So the coal pile was building up at a very rapid rate outside.

We kept getting full ships in with about 40,000 tons per ship. The pile was about 80' high and I was pushing coal on the cat D-9 Dozer all the way to the back of the pile. As I was aproaching the edge, it gave away and me and the dozer went for a wild ride down a very steep hill to the bottom. When it finally stopped, I was about 20' from going into the river. Got a few bruisers and a sprained wrist.

the next one was better, We had a self unloader ship dumping coal. The conveyer system was running to bring coal into the plant. When it finish, I had instructed the ship to move over the huge hole that the system created to fill it in. As I moved over to guide the ships stacker I fell in the hole with the dozer. The ship continued to move and started to fill in the hole. By the time they stopped dumping, I had about 4,000 lbs of coal covering me. I was just glad that the windows in the dozer held up. It took them 2 hours to get me out and a crane to lift the dozer out.

This one was the closest that i've had. Mass electric was working in the switch yard and they tripped the main breaker which intern tripped all 3 units. I was on the 8th floor and we lost power (it's funny when you work for a power plant and you lose power...lol). I walked down to the main floor, and to get out you have to walk by the pulverizers. Unit one was coming off line as I was walking by. Because of the trip, the units came to a screaching hault and the pulvarizers got jammed up. As I walked by, one of them blew the front right off it. There are 60 bolts that hold the front on and it just blew off like a bomb went off.

I have a few more from other jobs also.

I got a couple from work. I work at a caol fired power plant and the most powerful unit broke down, so instead of using 10,000 tons of coal per day we were only using about 4,000 tons. So the coal pile was building up at a very rapid rate outside.

We kept getting full ships in with about 40,000 tons per ship. The pile was about 80' high and I was pushing coal on the cat D-9 Dozer all the way to the back of the pile. As I was aproaching the edge, it gave away and me and the dozer went for a wild ride down a very steep hill to the bottom. When it finally stopped, I was about 20' from going into the river. Got a few bruisers and a sprained wrist.

the next one was better, We had a self unloader ship dumping coal. The conveyer system was running to bring coal into the plant. When it finish, I had instructed the ship to move over the huge hole that the system created to fill it in. As I moved over to guide the ships stacker I fell in the hole with the dozer. The ship continued to move and started to fill in the hole. By the time they stopped dumping, I had about 4,000 lbs of coal covering me. I was just glad that the windows in the dozer held up. It took them 2 hours to get me out and a crane to lift the dozer out.

This one was the closest that i've had. Mass electric was working in the switch yard and they tripped the main breaker which intern tripped all 3 units. I was on the 8th floor and we lost power (it's funny when you work for a power plant and you lose power...lol). I walked down to the main floor, and to get out you have to walk by the pulverizers. Unit one was coming off line as I was walking by. Because of the trip, the units came to a screaching hault and the pulvarizers got jammed up. As I walked by, one of them blew the front right off it. There are 60 bolts that hold the front on and it just blew off like a bomb went off.

I have a few more from other jobs also.

dozers? you guys are not use shovels?:D
looks like all you need spiderman's instinct :lol:

nothing real scary, just countless stories about the dumb mother ****ers that i deal with everyday

the only thing that comes to mind was while working on a fishing boat last summer. there were 3 boats that sailed from montauk for a night bass trip from 7pm-1am. i wasnt working, but was out fishing and hanging out with some freinds on one of the boats. my freind was working on one of the other boats. as the boats began to head in around 12, the high water alarm sounded on the boat my freind was working on. the captain told him to check it out. so he opened the engine hatch and the floor boards down in the bilge were floating. now this is a 65' party boat with about 35 people on board. In order for the floor boards to be floating thats about 3 feet of water inside the hull, so that comes out to a lot of weight.

we get a radio message from that boat. so us, and every other boat in the area that night begin to circle around the now sinking boat.

so my freind who is working on the doomed boat jumps down into the half submegred engine bay to see what is going on. apparently one of the deck hoses that runs through the engine bay shot off of its fitting and was dumping raw water (sea water) into the engine bay. there was no way the bilge pumps could keep up. my freind puts a new hose clamp on to stop the flow of water. there was still several tons of water in the engine bay and we were 10 miles off shore so there was no way the boat would be able to make way in its current state. so, the the 104' boat i am on pulls along side (in 6tf seas this is no easy task) and all of the mates (thats what we are called) on our boat jump to the other. we then made a line fom the engine bay to the top deck with 5 gallon pails and began bailing water. it took us 2 hours to get the pumps to catch up. we got back to port at like 4 am and i had to be at work at 530. what a night that was.

dozers? you guys are not use shovels?:D
looks like all you need spiderman's instinct :lol:
LOL. Shovels, what are those??? We don't shovel often. There's vacums for the floors and an outside company to suck up all the big spills. Did I forget to mention that I love unions....LOL

I was just lucky on when that unit blew. A couple seconds earlier and I would have been toast.

Typing on my palm pilot sucks, so when I get home. I'll post up about my roll-off dumpster truck flipping over....lol

nothing real scary, just countless stories about the dumb mother ****ers that i deal with everyday

the only thing that comes to mind was while working on a fishing boat last summer. there were 3 boats that sailed from montauk for a night bass trip from 7pm-1am. i wasnt working, but was out fishing and hanging out with some freinds on one of the boats. my freind was working on one of the other boats. as the boats began to head in around 12, the high water alarm sounded on the boat my freind was working on. the captain told him to check it out. so he opened the engine hatch and the floor boards down in the bilge were floating. now this is a 65' party boat with about 35 people on board. In order for the floor boards to be floating thats about 3 feet of water inside the hull, so that comes out to a lot of weight.

we get a radio message from that boat. so us, and every other boat in the area that night begin to circle around the now sinking boat.

so my freind who is working on the doomed boat jumps down into the half submegred engine bay to see what is going on. apparently one of the deck hoses that runs through the engine bay shot off of its fitting and was dumping raw water (sea water) into the engine bay. there was no way the bilge pumps could keep up. my freind puts a new hose clamp on to stop the flow of water. there was still several tons of water in the engine bay and we were 10 miles off shore so there was no way the boat would be able to make way in its current state. so, the the 104' boat i am on pulls along side (in 6tf seas this is no easy task) and all of the mates (thats what we are called) on our boat jump to the other. we then made a line fom the engine bay to the top deck with 5 gallon pails and began bailing water. it took us 2 hours to get the pumps to catch up. we got back to port at like 4 am and i had to be at work at 530. what a night that was.

I've always had a fear of being out on a boat and having it sink.

I work for a company that manufactures machines that make radiators. I work as a mechanical engineer. One day there was a problem with on of my drawings, so I had to page a guy down on the shop floor. The plant has a huge intercom system, so if you page someone, you can hear it no matter where you are in the building. Anyway, I paged the guy and as I was hanging up the phone, I spilled my coffee on all of my papers. Yelled out "son OF A B*&CH!"before I had the phone down.. The WHOLE plant heard me...Thats 600 employees or so.... It was very sh$$ty day... def. got wrote up that...:rolleyes:

Well to make a long story short i was washing the floors at friendlys when i was closing... so i filled abucket with water.... and lifted it.... and the handle snapped off and it turned over on my leg and poured water down my leg and shoe... i said "****" really loudly.... and ripped off my shoe and sock... along with alot of skin.... my man. said that it didnt look bad and to get back to work.... well the thing was i could barely walk on it... so i had to vacume and crap hopping on one foot... i ended up at the hospital.... they said i should sue... i coul have nerve damnage ect and i should of gotten there sooner then i had... well i was out of work for a month... filed for workmans comp... never saw a dime.... when i went back to work over break i took one of the digital thermometers and tested the water temp out of that faucet.... it was 165+ F*.... that man. got fired for what happened and for some other dumb **** he did... my new GM told me to follow up on that workmans comp after all this time... my foot is still all scared.... which sucks.... and it happened during the summer... and there was a 6ft swell and i couldnt go surfing... eventually when the blisters went down i did.... it felt so good in the water....

i fell of a bobcat loading mulch and broken my elbow. it hurt but i had pretty much full movement so i didn't think anything of it. kept workign the rest of the day, told my boss before i left and the next morning went to the store's medical center workmans comp place. had to get x-rays and all that jazz, they didn't have to cast it, they just put it in a sling. ended up missing about 4 hours of work all in all.

we had old counters that i had to put into the dumpster to get rid of. again using the bobcat i dragged them outside, put them up against the loading dock side wall and ran into them full speed with the bobcat to smash them up. went to work picking up the pieces and tossing them in the dumpster, the one piece had wires in it, and i went to pull on it not realizing, fermica top sliced my hand down to the meat in my palm all around the meaty section of the thumb part if that makes sense. ran it under water for about twenty minutes, got a shop towel and some electrical tape. fix that problem right up. in retrospect i should have probably went to the hospital because it didn't stop bleeding till the next day. :nonono:

one more quick one. loading mulch again in the bobcat. i put a scoop in the back of a guys pickup and got out to rake it out to put a second one in. parking brake let loose while i still had the bucket up in the air and rolled into the guys two week old pickup. luckly i was on the other side and didn't get in between the pickup and the bucket.

Was there any point of even including this in your reply??Im sure "legal" people forget to. :notnice:

I was just thinking that if I had illegal aliens working for me, I'd never admit that to anybody.

VP6799 - What plant in Mass do you work at? Salem? I'm in Hudson MA right now, we got 15 megs of Diesel, we're a self-dispatched peaker. We hardly ever run but you better believe we're crankin away today.

Adam

I was just thinking that if I had illegal aliens working for me, I'd never admit that to anybody.

VP6799 - What plant in Mass do you work at? Salem? I'm in Hudson MA right now, we got 15 megs of Diesel, we're a self-dispatched peaker. We hardly ever run but you better believe we're crankin away today.

Adam

I'm at Dominion Brayton Point Station in Somerset. We've been cranking for the past week. They started up unit 4 which burns oil. We're putting out about 1600 megawatts of power right now. We always run. The most they do is shutdown unit 4 for the summer, and bring the others down to about half power for a couple of hours.

So right before christmas Sheewin-Williams (where I work) had a big meeting in Dallas for all of the southwestern division. It was for the managers only. So I didnt go. But today I found out that my boss slept with another manager. lol. I knew she was a :taco:.

can't wait to see that :D

:lol:

Yeh that was a funny one, because I was told that it was going to happen but my supervisor (aka stupidvisor) said to keep working.....oh well, it's not my truck..:nice:

I used to work for Allied Wate. It was a trash disposal company that's nationwide.

September of 05, it was raining for a few days and the ground was soft. Too soft for any type of truck that has to lift the rear to be able to dump, climb to the top of the dump.

It was late in the day and I was coming in for the last dump. I had a 30 yard roll-off dumpster on my truck. When I got to the dump, The guy said that it was too dangerous to go up. Trucks were sliding to close to the edge of the road and 3 tractor trailers were stuck on top. So I called my boss and told him. Mr. smart-a$$ wanted the truck empty for an aerly delivery. Since we owned the dump, he had the last say.

I had to get pushed to the top by a huge loader. At the top, I started to lift the rear to dump. When it's fully extended, You have to drive forward so the trash slides out. Well, When I did that I hit a soft spot and the truck tipped on to the pass side. There was a co-worker sitting there in a ranger in case I needed help. My truck landed ontop of his and since I didn't have my seatbelt on, I went flying out the pass window. His ranger was the only thing that was keeping my truck up a bit.

He had some cuts and I was just glad that the ranger held all that wieght.