Working on cars in this heat

Stever89

5 Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Biloxi, MS
I'm not getting any younger, and I swore I would not still be twisting wrenches at my age, but here I am, sweating my brains out.

I only do it now for fun or when I have to, but damn it's just so freakin' hot out right now my black Fox is getting neglected. I was like a mad man during the spring (what little there was of one), but now, I'm even telling my kids to take theirs to someone else.

I hope to get it repainted soon, but I think I'm going to wait till fall.

• Sponsors (?)

Use winter as "project time". Oh, the joys of coming inside and not being able to feel my fingers for an hour, or laying on the ice cold ground with my feet sticking out of the garage and onto snow & ice...

Definitely. If something needs to be done, I chip away at it a little at a time so it's still enjoyable and doesn't grate on me. Back in the day I was always in a race to finish it for the next show, next cruise, etc. Now that it's mostly built I don't have to worry...until the next car comes along :)

Doing work on the LX would become work real fast if I hated doing it, it'd make you not want the car anymore real fast too. I hate HAVING to work on it, I love WANTING to. I'd bet a lot of guys don't have a Mustang anymore just for the pita effect.

I would much rather work on my car in the heat then in the cold. I built a car over the fall/winter this past year with a good friend. It sucked and was definitely more work then fun thats for sure.

I have work that i want to do to my car, and the heat doesn't bother me. Then again i'll be working in my shady garage :)

I don't mind the heat. Living in South Florida where it's hot 10 months out of the year, I'm used to it. The low temp last night was 83 degrees. Sometimes it sucks when you wake up and go outside @ 6AM and it's already in the low 80's. It's the price you pay for the great year round weather and being able to ride my motorcycle all winter (if you can call it that).

I was out in the garage monday evening repainted the wiper arms.rear window trim,changed plugs and wires, cleaned inside of coupe.... I was soaked with sweat by the time I was done. I loved every miniute of it though. I sure missed having a stang to tinker with.

i work 9 hours a day in a non air conditioned shop. We have a few fans but thats about it. My biggest issue is chaffing, that and heat rash. I would rather sweat than freeze any day.

I will take the cold to the heat anytime, worked outside form +40C to -55C...at least you can dress for the cold, with the heat there is only so much you can do..thank god for the heated garage! Just need some a/c in there now....

:nice:yeah thats me too- I'da already been an Ice Road driver if Suzy would let me, I could do that better than sweating as soon as you get out of the shower!:mad:

Do you have fans and/or a window AC unit for the summer? Space heater for the winter?

Thankfully I'm having a roof built over my back patio/porch in a month or so. That'll keep the sun and rain off, and one of those huge shop fans soon after. That's going to make a huge difference, and I'll finally enjoy tinkering on the car again.

I didn't want to come across as a whimp, look, I've done my time in the heat. I've worked manual labor jobs here in South Mississippi since 1976. I've owned over 30 cars in that time, and I'm all too familiar with working in the heat. For some of you younger guys, you'll understand what I'm talking about when you've just had enough of working out in the weather. Anything you can do to make it more comfortable definitely makes working on your vehicles more enjoyable. :)