Worst mistake - Crankshaft dropped from 1½' on the cement

Sleeper5.0

May 31, 2009
Quebec
Like the title say, the crank was on the block on the engine stand, and after coming back to the shop i didn't remember that there was no main cap installed and i turned the engine over and then the crank dropped on the cement floor. It was approximately at 1 feet and 6 inch from the floor. Fortunately it only touch the 2 extremities counterweights. Since, i could see two very slightly light traces on theses counterweights. Should i get my crank at a shop to check if it did not crack or it should be ok? I certainly will check if it is straight with a dial indicator for sure. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hi everyone, i first mesuared the straightness of my crank by sitting it in the block and what i saw is no more than .0002 on the center. So not to take chances i take it to a shop that is specialized in rebuilding engines, cranks and cylinder heads, then after checking it they said my crank is like a new. They mesured it to .0000??? and according from an engine book i have the limit is .0002. So i could said i was lucky or that this crank is pretty good. Thanks.

Something similiar happened to me once, and the consensus was basically that the steel parts are so much harder than today's concrete that you are much more likely to damage your floor than the part. Obviously we should try to avoid such mishaps, but I think things like this happen fairly often.