yes another 4cyl swap question

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Ok, I hear this all the time,"type in 4 cyl swap/conversion and look for all the posts on here" I do that and I get the threads, click on them, and see,"type in 4 cyl swap/conversion and look for all the posts on here". Does anyone actually know a website for this or know first hand! I mostly looking for stuff regarding wiring. My donor car is a 89 GT with mass air flow going into a 4cyl. Do I still need to do a MAF conversion? I am taking everything out of the gt. So it will have all the MAF wiriing on the motor already but I read there was something under the drivers seat that needed to be spliced into for the fuel pupm but I wasnt sure if that was b/c it had something to do with the speed density wiring. It is a complete car just has paper work issues that cant be solved! Also, the front suspension. Can it come out in one piece? k/member rack and pinion, wheels, brakes, springs,shocks as all one unit??? or easier to ust take it apart. I pretty much have everything else set. oh, how long did it take to do this conversion. I am going to have about a week with maybe one other person to help me? any suggestions on where to start? to save for last? I was going to start at the rear end and work my way up to the front...
thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can leave all the front suspension and brakes bolted to the k-member. You just unbolt the struts on the top and then the lower k-member bolts and it all drops in one piece. If you have all the parts off of the 89gt, then just swap the engine harness and the computers. After that, you will have to swap the fuel lines and according to some on here the fuel pump also. I called advance auto and they said that both 4cyl and v8 pumps are the same. You can use the same brake booster and master cylinder too. That's all the major stuff besides bellhousings, clutches, clutch forks, clutch cables, motor plates, tranny crossmembers and rear ends. Then you just have the little stuff like vacuum trees, instrument clusters and such. What's under the seat is probably the fuel pump relay. You should be able to leave that the same because when you swap computers the v8 computer should work fine with the existing wiring for the relay. (Don't quote me on that, just speculation...lol) I'm in the process of doing a 4cyl coupe right now. I've got a 93lx that I'm taking donor parts off of. If you've got any more questions I'll do my best to help you out and there are several people on here that have done the conversions and love the results. So you should be able to find the answer to just about any question you have.

later,

Matt

Thanks for the information, that helps me out a lot. I thought you had to change the brake booster b/c the v-8 was bigger or something? I plan on taking the engine and tranny out as one. How long has it taken you thus far on the conversion?

Yeah, I believe the boosters are a little bit different, but everyone I know leaves the 4cyl one in there unless you are doing lots of braking or road racing with the car. I really don't know the hours put into my car, just working on it after work at night with a friend. I'm about to drop the 302 in next week and fire it up. I've got all the parts out of the donor car so far. All I have to do is drop motor in, wire it up, put the clutch and tranny back in and it will be complete. I might throw an aftermarket pump in the tank just to be 110% sure that it will get enough fuel. Other than that, just little things are left like paint and exterior goodies. Hopefully if my plans work out it will be completely finished and painted in less than 2 months.

later,

Matt