Yet another clutch issue.

2002MineralGray

Feb 13, 2008
Ok I know there are a lot of clutch/tranny questions on here but does anyone know why my clutch would make a revving noise when pushed in at higher rpms? It only does it sometimes but when it does do it it makes the noise when I shift the car car above 3k rpms. No noise when I actually shift just noise when I push the clutch in. Almost sounds like Im blipping the throttle with the clutch in but my foot is no where near the gas. Clutch still grabs fine and doesnt slip.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok I know there are a lot of clutch/tranny questions on here but does anyone know why my clutch would make a revving noise when pushed in at higher rpms? It only does it sometimes but when it does do it it makes the noise when I shift the car car above 3k rpms. No noise when I actually shift just noise when I push the clutch in. Almost sounds like Im blipping the throttle with the clutch in but my foot is no where near the gas. Clutch still grabs fine and doesnt slip.

It might be as simple as the clutch disk rattling on the tranny input shaft when the pressure plate releases the clamping pressure. The center of the clutch disk is splined to match the tranny input shaft, but there is definite "play" because the clutch disk has to move forward and backward as it engages and releases. That is about the only source of noise besides a TOB problem I can think of, unless you have a failure in the pressure plate with a broken spring or something...

There is also a slight chatter sound when it is neutral and I rev it. By slight I mean if I feather the throttle a little bit between about 500-1000 rpms I can hear a slight chatter. Kinda sounds like spinning gears or something but it isnt really bad. I didnt know if this was normal or if if had something to do with the noise Im hearing when I shift hard. I had other people in the car and they said they couldnt hear it but I definatly notice it since I drive the car all the time. Like I said this could be just me over exaggerating but I didnt notice it until around the time my clutch started making noise under hard shifts.

You gonna have to be more specific with describing the noise that you hear. Is the 'revving' noise coming from the transmission itself? If so, need more details. If not is it coming from the engine? Need more details.

Lots of people complain that their rpms 'hang' or even go up when the push the clutch in and as a result they do a mod where they place a restrictor in the IAC's airflow. Your can rean about it here:
IAC Restrictor Plate Thread

If this noise is not engine related at all, tell us more about the conditions under which the car makes the noise.