Yet another v8 swap

Out of stock , Can I use my v6 converter ? the motor I have is maybe 180-200 HP .

That's a good question, but apparently no. I did a search on using a smaller engine's torque converter behind an 8 cylinder. Apparently it's been done to achieve higher stall speeds. From the Google AI response:

In older vintage applications (like 1970s and 1980s Chevy Vegas), some hot-rodders used a Vega 4-cylinder converter behind a small-block V8 strictly as a budget trick to achieve a high stall speed for drag racing. However, this required specific legacy transmissions (like a Powerglide or early TH350) and was notorious for ballooning or failing under real street-driven V8 power.
 
I remember seeing somewhere about the bolt circle being smaller than a standard Ford. It seems like standard Ford converters have a 10-1/2 bolt cirlce whereas the II has a 9-7/8 or 9-3/4 bolt circle. I'll have to search again and see if I can find it - seems like it would be pretty useful, especially right now.
The official dimension is 9.3 in. bolt circle, which seems to match my tape measure.

20260930_130349.webp


20260930_130626.webp
 
  • Like
Reactions: LILCBRA
That's a good question, but apparently no. I did a search on using a smaller engine's torque converter behind an 8 cylinder. Apparently it's been done to achieve higher stall speeds. From the Google AI response:

In older vintage applications (like 1970s and 1980s Chevy Vegas), some hot-rodders used a Vega 4-cylinder converter behind a small-block V8 strictly as a budget trick to achieve a high stall speed for drag racing. However, this required specific legacy transmissions (like a Powerglide or early TH350) and was notorious for ballooning or failing under real street-driven V8 power.
Seems I'm out of luck on the TC . I can't see 600 and up for performance converter . Not sure what to do except go to the 10 3/4 157 flex and a hammer . thanks
 
One thought - maybe check with transmission shops to see if they can't locate one for you. With any luck they'll have some source somewhere that the general public isn't aware of.
 
These folks have a pretty comprehensive listing of the different torque converters available for C4 transmissions with their dimensions. There are a few that are close to the Mustang II dimensions, but just slightly larger or have different pilot hub dimensions. The #2512 for the 2.8L/170, 3.3L/200, Maverick, Fairmont, Zephyr, Mustang is awful close. Their listing does not show what is in stock, so you might contact them to see if they have a Mustang II converter.

https://gopnh.com/Ford-Transmissions/C4
 
''''Considering a t-5 swap . I'd rather have a stick anyway. This week I plan to pull the old 2.8/C4 . I looked into just building the v6 but the parts are expensive and you wouldn't have much to show for it . The old c4 may be toast anyway . The saga continue

Is your spare plate a 50oz ? If so let me know if you want to move it. Thanks.
CPT has a 141 50 oz for 144.50 + tax and shipping .
 
  • Like
Reactions: welder4956
Not to jack the thread but I am looking at the same Fox parts swap in a v6 /auto 77 base . Could the Fox pedal set be used ? I found a guy close by with a ton of Fox parts and I wondered what I could use from his yard . All help appreciated .

I [think] the pedals could be used but you'd most likely want to reuse the II's mount. I can take some comparison pics later and give a better idea.