00 GT Rear end Problem...need advice please

tjy00gt

Jul 28, 2005
FL
Hows it going;

I need a bit of advice please. This evening I went and started the car and notice that it is making a thumping sound and shaking. It's also a bit slower from a standstill. Driving back home, there was a burning smell, but no smoke. After I got home, I went and checked the back of the car and it sounds like the thumping is coming from the rear end. My question though is if I change out the fluid (which it is probably due for) would this stop what is happening, or does this sound like something bigger? Any advice would be much appreciated. Oh and I do have 4.10's if it makes any difference.

• Sponsors (?)

That doesn't sound like a problem that a simple gear oil change will fix. It sounds like something broke or you are running with no fluid and things are falling apart. I'd get the rear cover off ASAP to see what is going on with it.

Bill

That doesn't sound like a problem that a simple gear oil change will fix. It sounds like something broke or you are running with no fluid and things are falling apart. I'd get the rear cover off ASAP to see what is going on with it.

Bill

I agree. Something is either binding or broke, prob from lack of fluid. Perhaps the Pinion shaft bolt came loose. Anyway pop off that cover and look to see what is going on. Goodluck