1965 Data Plate Confusion...

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone, hope you are doing well! I have a huge problem...I have a '65 convertible I am going to restore and I have an issue with the data plate. As you can see in the photos i have a 6 F at the end of the data plate...what the heck is that? And also, I have a code of 81 on there as you can see which says Canada and Government, what was this car used for and how rare is it? Thank you all for your time! Looking forward to getting to know you all!
SmartSelect_20180901-114133_Message+.jpg
20180928_153824.jpg

Hey all, I am restoring a 65 convertible and I have a few questions/need help! In the pictures I have posted the Data Plate and at the end it has a 6 F...I have no idea what this means, can anyone help? Also, there is a code 81 on there which is Ford of Canada/Government...anyone know how rare this is? Thank you in advance!

Austin SmartSelect_20180901-114133_Message+.jpg 20180928_153824.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
6 = 2.80:1, non-locking (If it were 'limited slip' it would be "F")
F = C4 auto (Canada only code, otherwise it would be "6")

Last edited:
Thank you sir. Any idea of what this car may have been used for? It says government when I look up the codes. Also its a prairie bronze with palomino interior which I know only like 5% of early mustangs went out like that. Thanks for the help!

Austin

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/cgi-bin/decoder.pl

That one also correctly decodes the F transmission code.

Body - 76A = Convertible, Standard Interior
Color - P = Prairie Bronze Metallic
Trim - 29 = Palomino Crinkle Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date - 07S = May 07, 1965
D.S.O - 81 = Ford of Canada
Axle - 6 = 2.80:1, Conventional
Trans: - F = C4 Automatic (Canada)
Thank you! Are there production numbers to see how rare the Prarie Bronze/Palomino Convertible combo built for Canada are? Or is that too specific to delve into?

Production numbers are not available for Mustangs earlier than 1967. Ford did not keep those records. Numbers or percentages that you see in books and or on the Internet for exterior paint colors, interior trims, options, etc. are estimates.

Last edited:
Ok, well thank you! I appreciate the help!
One more question...do you have an accurate picture of the palomino interior for 1965? Everything I have looked into looks much darker than what I am seeing when I look up the palomino interior for 1965. Maybe they were using parchment and calling it palomino? Thank you again for the help.