1968 Convertible With 1996 Gt Disc Brakes...?

annchen

Oct 12, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Hello folks,

I'm brand new to the Forum, and have had my Mustang now for about five years. I recently came into a heap of parts, for a nice deal, and have jumped the car forward a bit in the total restoration process. Just to keep everyone on the same page, I have a 1968 Mustang Convertible, that has had some previous work done on it, prior to my buying the vehicle.

When I got to the car, I noticed that it had a steering assembly that did NOT look stock, because it conflicted with the motor mount. Along with that, there are what appear to be relatively new disc brakes on the front, as well as discs in the rear. There are also relatively new coilovers instead, also not stock. In the back, it's got an 8.8 Rear End Axle, from I suspect a 1996 Mustang GT. I've got a picture of a plate with some numbers on it, I'll see if I can find something in the GT forums later.. I've scoured the pictures on the ol' Interwebs, and everything I've got bolted on my 1968 Mustang, looks exactly like the stuff bolted on factory 96 Mustangs.

That leaves me with a few problems. Obviously, I had clearance issues by the motor, and just so happened to come across the entire stock steering assembly, with drums and everything.. so I'll probably just slap those suckers back on there for now. As well, I got a stock rear end, with drums, so I'll put those on, to keep things simple, but I wonder if it wouldn't be too hard to get those discs working, with a bit of ingenuity... I'd imagine I'll have to make modifications to the brake master cylinder, or make some adjustments by the calipers. I'm not very familiar with brake retrofitting, so please school me. ;)

I figure I can keep the discs on the front just by bolting everything but the lower control arm, and just leave whats there.. there. The previous owner already connected the calipers of the new brakes to the proportioning valve, so it's all wired up to go with the stock brake master cylinder. Again, I'm a bit new to brakes, at least to total installation of brakes from the ground up. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!!!

One of my main upgrade goals for this project is to move to discs. I would buy a stock kit, but I've already got so much in parts here, I'd like to see if I could get them to work. There are tons and tons of 90's Mustangs at Junkyards around here. I'm sure I could get parts that I might need for a retro.. I've just never heard of this kind of retro. Usually it's a Granada, or something like that..

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

-J

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a fan of retro-fitting "mystery meat" onto Series 1 Mustangs, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The K-H brakes on front with the big drum rears were actually pretty good, and were an option on those year Mustangs. Every part is readily available at your local parts store or through Rock Auto. To me, that has tremendous value over having something that is "modern" or "improved". In the long run, I think you'll probably enjoy the K-H brakes more than doing a conversion just because you have the parts. See if you can sell those parts and get the right parts.

I stupidly "upgraded" my stock steering with a Unisteer R&P unit, and it's the dumbest thing I've done on a car. Increased my turning radius dramatically, makes it so I cannot properly align the front wheels and is already wearing out after 5,000 miles. I'm returning it to stock as soon as I finish installing a period correct 4 speed toploader.