1969 exhaust hangers. Expert needed!

lastofbreed

Apr 23, 2011
Arvada CO
I bought a new shelby 'transverse muffler' exhaust system for my 70, and when I went to install it the most important holes are not present. I suspect it is because I bought a 69 system and am trying to put it on a 70, that is why the floor pan is not drilled for the resoniator bracket hangers.
I looked for 3 hours on the internet for the hole positions with no luck. Does anyone know where the holes should be?
Below are photos (I hope) of the floor pan area & the resoniater bracket (not the bracket that attaches the floor pan). Dimensions or clear photos of the bracket/floor pan locations would be most appreciated!
Also any info on where the tail pipe hanger holes should be would be most appreciated. If I need to drill the frame for them I'm taking it to a muffler shop! I thought I would be able to bolt on a 'factory' system, but that may not be so.
Thanks. :nice:
2011-05-29shelbyexhaust004.jpg

2011-05-29shelbyexhaust003.jpg

2011-05-29shelbyexhaust006.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

IIRC the 1970 (non-Shelby) dual exhaust system was not a transverse muffler system.

You are correct, but cars that left the factory as single exhaust were not equipped with provision for dual exhaust. In 1970, for example, although the crossmember had the holes for the hanger on both sides, the screw plate for attaching the hanger was only installed on the RH side on single exhaust cars.

1970 Shelbys were built using 1969 cars.

The holes go here:

JL0274.JPG

This is the earlier system, but the tailpipe hangers were the same 65-69.

65-66dual.jpg
Hi 2+2GT
do you still have these photos of the 69 exhaust mounts Im having the same problem now and would like to fit mine in the factory postion ..
thanks