1971 Mustang Coupe, too low!

I was wondering what is the best/safest way to effectivly lift the rear of my Mustang a couple inches. I have looked into air shocks, but I dont think I want to mess with those, same for shackles... any other ways? Thanks for the help.

Chris

1971 Mustang Cpe
1976 Mach 1
1976 Cobra II

• Sponsors (?)

IM getting the 4 leaf springs, I think they raise the back of the car 1inch, I think the Gabrial Strider Air shocks also raise the car some, mine came with old Air shocks on it but I took them off and put Monro Matic Plus gas charged shocks on. I like the 71-73' to have a higher stance, they dont look right low IMO. IM planning on lowering the front end 1in, the 7 foot of steel in front of you looks tough to see over if its not lower then the back. I never actually drove it yet but hopefully it wont be as bad as it looks to drive with the Mach 1 rear window and huge hood. I like the agressive look, slightly higher in the back with lots of rubber and the white lettering on the tires to top it off. By the way how is your 71' to drive? Is it tough to get use to such a big car? The biggest car I ever owned is my 1994 mustang but I think the 73' mach 1 has a few feet on that. :shrug:

Jim

1973mach1 said:
IM planning on lowering the front end 1in, the 7 foot of steel in front of you looks tough to see over if its not lower then the back.

of course you will never again see anything but clouds out of the rear window!
(assuming you have a mach I or any other sportsroof model in those years)

1973mach1 said:
I like the agressive look, slightly higher in the back with lots of rubber and the white lettering on the tires to top it off.

I agree with you there.

charlies said:
of course you will never again see anything but clouds out of the rear window!
(assuming you have a mach I or any other sportsroof model in those years)

I agree with you there.

LOL Ya, even if the back was lower then the front I still doubt I could see anything out that window. I'll have to get one of them camera's for backing up the RV people use. :D

By the way how is your 71' to drive? Is it tough to get use to such a big car? The biggest car I ever owned is my 1994 mustang but I think the 73' mach 1 has a few feet on that. :shrug:

Jim[/QUOTE]

It's easy as pie to drive, and I dont even have power steering. My tiny little Cobra II is harder at handeling than my 71, of course the cobra has manual steering as well and probably the entire front suspension is shot! But as far as it being to big, not really, I do warn you though, if you reverse and turn watch those front fenders, I have come VERY close to things at times! you shouldnt have any trouble getting used to it.

Chris

1WildII said:
What if I replace the leafs, and it still doesnt look high enough, what should I do? lower the front?

Chris
I'd try 4 leaf springs with the 1in lift, that should get you were u want, if not try gas shocks then you can fill them up to the height you want. I also heard of alot of the guys who like the back end jacked up using blocks on the rear leafs to get them higher? I'd lower the front 1in and raise the back 1in, thats what im doing. I like a higher stance but I like the front to be slightly lower.

Jim

It's easy as pie to drive, and I dont even have power steering. My tiny little Cobra II is harder at handeling than my 71, of course the cobra has manual steering as well and probably the entire front suspension is shot! But as far as it being to big, not really, I do warn you though, if you reverse and turn watch those front fenders, I have come VERY close to things at times! you shouldnt have any trouble getting used to it.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. The front fenders are huge, the hode alone has to be close to 6 foot. I cant wait to get mine out driving. They dont seem that long when you compare them to the length of alot of other cars I think its just that 6-7 foot of metal in front of you that makes it seem so much bigger. I think there about the size of Chargers and 68'-73' GTO's?

Thanks,
Jim

stackz said:
also, check to make sure the past owner didn't put shackles on the back of the leaf springs...they used to do that crap and it really messed up the height and the springs themselves.
I used to do that "crap" too, but it never messed anything up, other than the handling , somewhat. Depending on the length of the shackles, sometimes they can be a cost effective way to gain tire clearance, just stay away from the ones that're a foot long. ones that are 2-3 inches taller than stock will hurt nothing.

1973mach1 said:
The biggest car I ever owned is my 1994 mustang but I think the 73' mach 1 has a few feet on that. :shrug:

Jim

Not really. Our Mustangs share the garage, and the 73 doesn't have too much more length then the 00 (although right now the front is off the 73, and we've never had a bumper on it, so it's even shorter than normal!)...

do any of you guys have pictures of your cars with the lower front stance and 4 leafs on the back? i would really like to see what it would look like so i could do it to mine

I took the hood off of my yellow Mach in order to do the motor swap, and the hood stands as tall as me, it's been awhile since I stood next to it, but it's freaking huge, and it ain't light either. And yes they look hilariously funny sitting next to a II in the garage longest mustangs next to the smallest ones, but ain't they all fun.