1971 Torino. T5 transmission swap

Wells12

Aug 5, 2018
California
Hi,
I’m doing a transmission swap on a 1971 Torino. I bought a T5 transmission that was in a 1983 4 cylinder mustang. My question is what all do I have to swap out so I can bolt it to a 302 and can I use WC parts

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
I’m doing a transmission swap on a 1971 Torino. I bought a T5 transmission that was in a 1983 4 cylinder mustang. My question is what all do I have to swap out so I can bolt it to a 302 and can I use WC parts

that depends, do you want to keep the stock clutch system, or do you want to go with a cable clutch, or hydraulic clutch. modern drive trains and other suppliers have the necessary adapter plate to bolt the trans to the top loader bell housing, or you can swap to the T5 bell. and yes the T5 will bolt up to a T5 bell housing since the bolt patterns are all the same in the ford line.

T5 from a 4cyl will have a different imput shaft that a t5 from a v8, not sure but I believe they are not as strong, you will need the t5 bell housing and either hydraulic conversion or cable conversion for the pedal, let me see if @horse sence or @rbohm can help

quite true, the input shaft is smaller on the four cylinder T5, but at the pilot bearing nose, not the input shaft itself. iirc they all use the same throw out bearing.

I dont think the 4 cylinder t5 will hold up ,usually if it is from a 4 cylinder it isnt very strong

this is quite true, the foud cylinder T5 will be shredded by the V8, it cant handle the torque.