Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Off day tomorrow…big plans.

It’ll be another reality bitch slap more than likely. I have to start the day by registering my new car, and at the same time pick up the personal plate for the monster. Go to an upholstery supplier to get no back carpet, nylon thread, and a good pair of scissors, then to HD to get some 1/2” thick mdf to make the new front of the LJK’s seat.

Then I’m home.

put the exhaust on, drop the car on its front tires, and straighten the front tires as good as I can get them, install the other half of my steering column. Install the mesh on that side, install the vents, lights and switches.

Paint the top of the curved dash black.

Cut and sew the piece of carpet into the front section. Make a template for the LJK’s new seat front, then cut it out of mdf. Cover that in no back carpet.

Test the circuits to make sure everything is working, attempt to start the car.

If it doesn’t start: throw a fit.
If it starts, let it run a minute, attempt to put trans in 1st gear.
If it won’t go into gear, or it’s difficult to get it in gear: throw a fit.
If it goes into gear, ease out the clutch, and let it spin the rear tires.
If the rear makes noise: throw a fit.
If the rear is quiet, change gears, run trans through all 6 gears, and reverse.

Shut off car. Install carpet permanently. Put the front of the LJK’s rear seat on permanently. Cut rear of console to clear the new front of the LJK’s rear seat.
Install console permanently
Install the new black dash top permanently. Button up remaining dash pieces, install gauge pod.
Relocate AFR gauge to top of column, install column trim.
Reinstall seat belts, reinstall seats,

No way in hell I’m gonna get all of that done.

• Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Reactions: 3 users
Off day tomorrow…big plans.

It’ll be another reality bitch slap more than likely. I have to start the day by registering my new car, and at the same time pick up the personal plate for the monster. Go to an upholstery supplier to get no back carpet, nylon thread, and a good pair of scissors, then to HD to get some 1/2” thick mdf to make the new front of the LJK’s seat.

Then I’m home.

put the exhaust on, drop the car on its front tires, and straighten the front tires as good as I can get them, install the other half of my steering column. Install the mesh on that side, install the vents, lights and switches.

Paint the top of the curved dash black.

Cut and sew the piece of carpet into the front section. Make a template for the LJK’s new seat front, then cut it out of mdf. Cover that in no back carpet.

Test the circuits to make sure everything is working, attempt to start the car.

Shut off car. Install carpet permanently. Put the front of the LJK’s rear seat on permanently. Cut rear of console to clear the new front of the LJK’s rear seat.
Install console permanently
Install the new black dash top permanently. Button up remaining dash pieces, install gauge pod.
Relocate AFR gauge to top of column, install column trim.
Reinstall seat belts, reinstall seats,

I’ll start at the beginning of this post...... new car? Did I miss something?

Rest of list sounds do-able, but the running around and parts chasing always seems to take me much longer than expected!

I can appreciate the 'throw a fit' parts. I'm all 'what the f*ck' when something goes wrong on a project, and I curse up a storm for a few minutes. Then I calm down, my brain kicks in again and I can think over what happened and what the problem could be.

But you'll make progress, and that's what's important. Eventually, it'll all get done. Just stop putting more stuff on the pile first!

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
I can appreciate the 'throw a fit' parts. I'm all 'what the f*ck' when something goes wrong on a project, and I curse up a storm for a few minutes. Then I calm down, my brain kicks in again and I can think over what happened and what the problem could be.

But you'll make progress, and that's what's important. Eventually, it'll all get done. Just stop putting more stuff on the pile first!
The “pile” was always there. The things i’m doing now are things that i told myself that i’d do next time I had this or that apart. It just so happens that this time is that time.:O_o:

As stated earlier,…I’ve officially doomed the car to follow in the footsteps of all the other cars before it.
B873EE88-AF45-4FA5-B470-B2DC4E8B1C7D.jpeg

They all got sold w/I a year of putting a personalized plate on the car.

nonetheless, I figured I’d still poke fun at the half breed nature of this beast……

And put the Japanese engine designation on a Ford racing plate.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users
And the piece is seamed in.
BFE64302-E15D-4673-9DBA-2937E437CE63.jpeg

Nobody local had any 80/20 loop pile carpet. This is a scrap piece I got from a local upholstery guy I’ve used in the past. It’s obviously not the same thickness with regard to the loop, but nobody will ever see this. This is completely hidden under the center console

Reactions: 1 users
And as usual..
There’s some bit about the dreams of mice and men in the book…I wish I could remember the quote.
The point being is that I can dream all day long about what I plan to do, but in reality, my plans don’t amount to sht.
Sewing that carpet absolutely consumed the day. Not only did I see that piece in, but in three other places where the carpet was bunching up in the corners, I cut out a wedge, and sewed it back together.
029EDDB5-2581-45B3-BF3A-FCAF8A455E96.jpeg

The cut line is to the left of the AC drain tube.
I did the same thing on the other side by the gas pedal, and in an opposite corner under a kick panel.
But it fits as good now as any other molded carpet I’ve ever installed.
FA4646C7-178D-4132-B11C-CC44F4C8FCC8.jpeg

The rest of the day was dedicated to propping up the front of the LJK’s rear seat.
72EA3105-99AC-4A1F-B453-BDD2CAD8F474.jpeg

unfortunately, as labor intensive as it was to get these to fit like this, the day ended before anything else got done.

they have some trimming left, and I have to take a round over bit on a router and blend them in before I cover them. I also have to add some ledges to the board so as to be able to screw them to the existing stuff that’s already back there.

Reactions: 2 users
And as usual..
There’s some bit about the dreams of mice and men in the book…I wish I could remember the quote.
The point being is that I can dream all day long about what I plan to do, but in reality, my plans don’t amount to sht.
Sewing that carpet absolutely consumed the day. Not only did I see that piece in, but in three other places where the carpet was bunching up in the corners, I cut out a wedge, and sewed it back together.
029EDDB5-2581-45B3-BF3A-FCAF8A455E96.jpeg

The cut line is to the left of the AC drain tube.
I did the same thing on the other side by the gas pedal, and in an opposite corner under a kick panel.
But it fits as good now as any other molded carpet I’ve ever installed.
FA4646C7-178D-4132-B11C-CC44F4C8FCC8.jpeg

The rest of the day was dedicated to propping up the front of the LJK’s rear seat.
72EA3105-99AC-4A1F-B453-BDD2CAD8F474.jpeg

unfortunately, as labor intensive as it was to get these to fit like this, the day ended before anything else got done.

they have some trimming left, and I have to take a round over bit on a router and blend them in before I cover them. I also have to add some ledges to the board so as to be able to screw them to the existing stuff that’s already back there.

I’d rather take my time than have regrets from hurrying through. Your work looks good.

Console/ shifter looks great! Interior should look top notch once it’s together!
Thanks, those are Yeti cooler drink cups that are serving as “cup holders”.

( probably not the cheapest cupholders, but they fit the inside the less expensive stainless steel “ too big“ cupholders
that fit inside the cutouts in the console.)

I just gotta get it running.

You can see the color mismatch on the door panel, as the door bars, and the door panel itself are still in the original color.
I’m not going to pull that door bar, or door panel anytime soon.