Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, those are Yeti cooler drink cups that are serving as “cup holders”.

( probably not the cheapest cupholders, but they fit the inside the less expensive stainless steel “ too big“ cupholders
that fit inside the cutouts in the console.)

I just gotta get it running.

You can see the color mismatch on the door panel, as the door bars, and the door panel itself are still in the original color.
I’m not going to pull that door bar, or door panel anytime soon.
I like that they stick up like that, almost making a spill a 0% possibility. And you’ve spared no expense elsewhere, may as well go with Yeti!!

Reactions: 1 user
In hindsight.

The Mach 1 carpet came two different ways. It’s always a 2 piece set, but you can get the rear set w/o the sewn in mats. If you look in the pics, you’ll see that I had to put holes in the rear mats for the rear seat brackets to fit through. While penetrating that mat didn’t bother me, I’m concerned that the mat won’t compress enough, and will raise the rear of the seat slightly, or pull the carpet out of shape, possibly pulling the cut edges out from under the rear seat board.

YTBD.

In hindsight.

This “upgrade“ was too much trouble. I’ll admit it on this one. The amount of work required to create a clutch pedal where there wasn’t one available, coupled to the weird fitment issues that come with using a CD 009 trans, with its shifter at the tail of the trans, hydraulic clutch requirement, and an almost 4:1 1st gear would have me advising against this swap. Not running, The trans shifts like sht. It hangs on the gears and won’t smoothly go into gear. I hope this changes once it’s running, because if it don’t……….That’ll be a bad day for the Monster.

Last edited:
When I got home tonight, I started checking circuits to make sure everything works as it should before I move forward, and close up the dash. Although it took some trial and error, I managed to find everything and verify it’s working status.

Except the engine cooling fan.

For the life of me, I have no Idea where that circuit is, or how to test it. All I know was that Steve built a circuit that uses a digital relay so that we can soft ramp up the fan so It won’t hit the charging system so hard when it starts.

Firstly, We did this because at the time, there were no start issues, and we thought back then that the current draw from the fan was causing a voltage drop big enough to cause running issues.

That turned out NOT to be the case.

Nonetheless, I wired in some goofy assed looking digital relay, so that My man Steve could program the fan to soft start, and ramp up with coolant temp. Problem is….I don’t know how to test its’ functionality. If it were a typical programmable output, using a standard relay, I’d be able to put the thing in test mode, and trigger that output. Once confirmed, I get to say to myself ( usually out loud) “ check“.

But it’s not.

So then Steve… @a91what ……where the hell is this fan output, and how do I test the thing, and what’s the harm in reversing the output to something that my technically challenged ass can test w/o flagging you when I can’t?

Collateral damage:

The AC mode switch is terminal…it will not switch the vents on my Vintage Air AC system. It will only blow out all of the vents……..Except the defrost ducts.

Fixing that requires a drop of the AC plenum.

How do you say “No fukin way“ in Spanish?….Cause I want to make sure our hispanic members understand what I’m thinkin here too…And our French, German, Italian, Russian, Greek…hell,…the whole freakin Planet understands….

That I ain’t dropping that AC plenum.

Additionally, There are two little bug-peen sized light bulbs that illuminate the AC control panel. One of the wires broke off one of the two bug peen lights…I’d fix this if these bulbs were Oreillys kinda lights..( I’m thinkin the smallest light bulbs they have fall into the chicken dick sized category). Which leaves me wondering….

Do you think I can jam a chicken dick light into a bug peen hole?

One things for sure….I ain’t keepin the car disabled for a BPL. ( bug peen light).

Anyway…Checking all these circuits require. “ key on/key off” test process. Every time I do this, the fuel pump primes….

*A MS3x allows you to use un-dedicated injector, and spark outputs for other purposes if you don’t have an 8 cylinder engine…and when testing these outputs, selecting the “ on” mode would turn on that injector output or conversely fire that coil…

A real eye opening experience when you you don’t bother to count letters… (i.e. “spark f” is actually IN THE ENGINE!)

I’m here to tell you that there is a really loud bang when you do that….So much so, that the wife comes down into the garage to see if it’s still there, and see if all of your pieces-parts are still attached.

Its just another day in my life i guess….All in good fun. I liken it to how they used to use Dynamite to kick start old WWII bomber engines w/o the benefit of a properly functioning electrical system. ( Watch the recent version of Flight of the Phoenix to see what I’m talking about)

After she goes upstairs bitching about how you’ll blow up the house or kill yourself, I decide to try and start the engine…

It starts almost immediatey..as soon as the WB takes charge, settles into its warm up sequence….but I can’t let it run…cause she’s already pissed, and stinking up the whole basement with exhaust fumes would just bring on a whole nother level of “ get the fck away from me” when I came up from the garage.

So, I bailed. Wednesday is test day.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Well Mike, any output can he triggered on or off, the pwm relay is the same.

Without looking at the tune I assume you can just figure out what output was used in the "generic pwm out" setup and then fire that output in testmodes.
I went through all of them…no worky. trying to figure out if I have somehow got a wire wrong for the few that got removed..but none seem to be working. Ill figure it out on Wednesday i guess.

Dynamite to kick start old WWII bomber engines w/o the benefit of a properly functioning electrical system. ( Watch the recent version of Flight of the Phoenix to see what I’m talking about)

After she goes upstairs bitching about how you’ll blow up the house or kill yourself, I decide to try and start the engine…
Dynamite... NO
Shotgun starter, yes; AKA Coffman starter.
The old aircraft were made to operate out of unequipped airfields - no start carts, no APU, They used a shotgun style cartridge to generate enough gas to crank the engine.
The last airplane that I was around that used a shotgun starter was a B-57 Canberra, 2 engine jet bomber - really a lot of fun to watch it crank and start up.

See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ

• Love
Dynamite... NO
Shotgun starter, yes; AKA Coffman starter.
The old aircraft were made to operate out of unequipped airfields - no start carts, no APU, They used a shotgun style cartridge to generate enough gas to crank the engine.
The last airplane that I was around that used a shotgun starter was a B-57 Canberra, 2 engine jet bomber - really a lot of fun to watch it crank and start up.

See
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ

Dang, what gauge would those be, and how far could you hunt with buck shot with those size shells?

• Hell Yeah!
I was at a car show a few years ago and some guys had a truck with one of them engines, they had to pull the plugs from the bottom cylinders to drain the oil from those cylinders or you can't crank it, sounded cool. They kept calling it a rotary something, can't remember.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfson8bqi8c

Last edited:
I just figured as big as those shells are they are closer to dynamite than a shotgun.

But now that we’re comparing things, it was definitely closer to a shotgun bang in my garage in hindsight.

It just “ seemed” louder at the time.

Now, we're talking about something I like. The Wildcat used a 4ga shotgun shell. It'sa wee bit bigger than a 12 gauge.

I was at a car show a few years ago and some guys had a truck with one of them engines, they had to pull the plugs from the bottom cylinders to drain the oil from those cylinders or you can't crank it, sounded cool. They kept calling it a rotary something, can't remember.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfson8bqi8c

They are radial engines. The baddest of which is the R4360 Wasp Major, all 4362 cubic inches o fit. A Harley is a mini radial engine. I would love to have a radial in my garage just to crank and run. The engineering on these WWII radials is mind boggling in both complexity and simplicity. Don't get me wrong, I love a RR Merlin in a P51 or a Spitfire, but the chug a lug of a P47, B17, or B29 is better than any Pink Floyd concert.

Here's a cool video of some dude showing off his wood working skillz and the basic function of a radial.

Wooden Radial!

For the life of me, I have no Idea where that circuit is, or how to test it. All I know was that Steve built a circuit that uses a digital relay so that we can soft ramp up the fan so It won’t hit the charging system so hard when it starts.

If you ever figure out how he did that, I would be dying to know. Yes I searched it on the internet. I have a specific thread asking this question in the SN subsection.

Kurt

Now, we're talking about something I like. The Wildcat used a 4ga shotgun shell. It'sa wee bit bigger than a 12 gauge.

They are radial engines. The baddest of which is the R4360 Wasp Major, all 4362 cubic inches o fit. A Harley is a mini radial engine. I would love to have a radial in my garage just to crank and run. The engineering on these WWII radials is mind boggling in both complexity and simplicity. Don't get me wrong, I love a RR Merlin in a P51 or a Spitfire, but the chug a lug of a P47, B17, or B29 is better than any Pink Floyd concert.

The Naval museum in Pensacola, FL has some great cutaway radial engines so you can see how they work. The number of moving parts in them is mind boggling. To think that Pratt and Whitney was manufacturing hundreds of the things a day at the height of the war is staggering. The R4360 only went in a few airplanes, and was referred to as the corn cob.

You might love the Merlin in a Mustang, but you didn't want to be flying it. The V12s were developed to reduce the forward cross sectional area of the airplane, but to do that, they had to have water cooling. Spitfires and Mustangs got shot down a lot more than their radial counterparts. One bullet pierces the cooling system on a Mustang, and it's going down. I've known people who flew Mustangs, and if the cooling system gets a leak, you just bail out immediately. The engine eventually seizes, and causes a torque roll so bad, you can't get out of the plane. Radial engines had jugs (a cylinder) blown off of them and flew back.

Kurt

Last edited:

Here's a cool video of some dude showing off his wood working skillz and the basic function of a radial.

Wooden Radial!

I knew there was some weird kinship somewhere out there. I love WWII aircraft. The room next to the monster is filled with a whole bunch of warbird artwork.

Reactions: 1 users