Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

To me its easier to go to the garage open a pre mixed boost juice and throw it in the tank..then go waste gas going to the store to buy Heat or washer fluid...and im certain its not the same mix every time...i like simple...even tho it costs a little more...but then again if you have a turbo.or..supercharger there not cheap in the 1st place....

Ok...remote oil catch can v3.0 is in the design stages.

This time I'm making it close enough, and high enough to gravity drain the spewed oil back into the valve cover.

(I ain't draining one more ounce of motor oil out of any orifice other than the drain plugs in the bottom of the pan.)

A square box, with a rearward sloping floor, mounted between the front of the engine, and the radiator.
Inside, a series of angled baffles in "chambers" to try and keep the oil from fighting it's way forward. At the rear most chamber, Two -12 vent hoses on the top, and two -10 drains on the bottom, all four of them free to allow the engine to breath into the box.

So let's consider that then...two -10's are .5" each, two -12's are .75" each. I'll have the equivalent of a 2.5" hole in my freakin valve cover to allow crankcase gasses to vent.

At the front chamber, SS potscrubber mesh acting as the final wall of defense against anything " wet" that remains other than vapor, with the two current breathers coming off the front pointing to each side of the engine compartment.
If I need to add more of those things, I'm leaving room to do so.

I'm gonna drill two 1/2" npt holes in the front, and injector side of the valve cover for oil drain back fittings, and thread -10 fittings into it. More holes drilled and tapped in the valve cover to hold the mount studs for the catch can mount tabs. I'll make the top of the box removable so I can wash the SS mesh periodically when it funks up., and seal it with screws, and gasket goop in between cleanings.

The outside will get ribs and wrinkle black finish so that it'll match the valve cover.

And,...it better freakin work.

Now that I can actually consider how much power that this combo could actually make,..I'm not gonna keep mopping up engine oil off of the valve cover, engine, and floor every time I go out and make a power pull.

Reactions: 4 users
To me its easier to go to the garage open a pre mixed boost juice and throw it in the tank..then go waste gas going to the store to buy Heat or washer fluid...and im certain its not the same mix every time...i like simple...even tho it costs a little more...but then again if you have a turbo.or..supercharger there not cheap in the 1st place....
I'm not doing anything different than you are then. Blue -20 ww fluid is 30/70........and 3 bucks.

Oh,...except saving 5 bucks a bottle. ( Boost juice is 8)

If need be, adding a bottle of Heet adds another 3 bucks to the mix...gaining consistency is simply a matter of mixing the stuff the same way every time. No running around like a chicken with your head cut off,..you go to the AZ store once, and buy 4 bottles of Heet, and 4 gals of -20 blue stuff.

1. You have a empty 1 gal jug from a previous fill.
2. A bottle of Heet is 12 ounces. You pour 12 ounces of the blue stuff into the empty gal jug.
3 Add the bottle of Heet.
4. Do this three more times.
4. Pat yourself on the back.

Cause you just made a close to 50/50 mix ( who's counting, as long as you tune to it?)
You did it locally, w/o having to wait on shipping.
You still saved 8 bucks on the case of boost juice.
You now get to eat a 6" Subway club, including chips and a drink, and add a white macadamia nut cookie for 'zert.

Reactions: 1 user
Just chocolate chip for me, thanks.

My wife and kids literally just made a couple batches. Yours is in the mail.

20171128_192655.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not doing anything different than you are then. Blue -20 ww fluid is 30/70........and 3 bucks.

Oh,...except saving 5 bucks a bottle. ( Boost juice is 8)

If need be, adding a bottle of Heet adds another 3 bucks to the mix...gaining consistency is simply a matter of mixing the stuff the same way every time. No running around like a chicken with your head cut off,..you go to the AZ store once, and buy 4 bottles of Heet, and 4 gals of -20 blue stuff.

1. You have a empty 1 gal jug from a previous fill.
2. A bottle of Heet is 12 ounces. You pour 12 ounces of the blue stuff into the empty gal jug.
3 Add the bottle of Heet.
4. Do this three more times.
4. Pat yourself on the back.

Cause you just made a close to 50/50 mix ( who's counting, as long as you tune to it?)
You did it locally, w/o having to wait on shipping.
You still saved 8 bucks on the case of boost juice.
You now get to eat a 6" Subway club, including chips and a drink, and add a white macadamia nut cookie for 'zert.
Anti detonation fluid composition - you forgot the 3% water soluble oil to prevent corrosion and lubricate the pump. The USAF specified fish oil for the anti detonation fluid for piston engine aircraft but I am sure that there are better choices today.

Lots of progress!!! Good to see the water/meth working its magic. Now, how many days do I need to wait before checking back in to see the oil catch thingamabob?
I'm going down stairs to inventory the hose end/pipe fitting situation this AM, and will order the stuff today for a Sunday build.

So, to answer your question directly,......Sunday.

I hate myself.

I need two 90 degree -12 fittings. One end needs to be -12' the other end 3/4 npt.

I look on Summit's website and find two steel pieces that fit the bill. 6.97 ea. Says they're in stock. I call to order.

They're in stock alright........................in Ohio.

Ordered today, they wouldn't get to me until the very end of the day on MONDAY....In other words, both of my days off wasted because of lack of material.

I check into what it'll cost to overnight them...25 bucks. Plus a 10.00 handling charge.
Let's add that up then,.....14 + 25 + 10 = 49 Dollars. 50 bucks For two freakin steel fittings that list for 6.97 ea.

If the parts were in Atlanta, then all I'd have to pay was the 10 handling charge, because stuff shipped from Summit's Atlanta warehouse gets to me normally in one day. 14 + 10 = 24 bucks....
Half.......Eddie.
But they don't have it in Atlanta. So even talking about this is pointless.

So then,.....what DO you have in Atlanta that I CAN use then?.....

We have them in aluminum...

How much are they?

16.97 ea. Just north of twice as costly, and only 10.00 extra for shipping and handling. Bottom line,...
44 bucks.

I saved 5 bucks...:rolleyes: So I ordered it. 5 bucks, and Aluminum...the right side of my brain justified it as the more logical of the two options.

This purchase is one that really gripes me though....Partly, because I've known I was gonna do this at the beginning of the week. When there would've been more than enough time to get something shipped from Ohio to me using normal ground service.

But I figured a simple fitting would also be in Atlanta.

So I waited.

The other part that bugs me is that I have no idea if " Catch can v3.0" will work any better than either of the two previous failed experiments. So spending any more money than I have to on a folly that could end up getting thrown in the trash is still a possibility.

And that'll PMTFO.

Here's the kicker...

Even though it typically only takes a day for stuff to get to me shipped out of Atlanta,..it isn't guaranteed.
It still might not get here till late in the day on Monday.

Unspeakable rage....that's what it'll be.....

Reactions: 1 users
im kinda loosely-but-not-really-following the catch can thing. I have an affordable option: racecatchcan.com cheap and nice USA made products. I have one and am happy with it, albeit in it's short period of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.