Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m happy you’re going the gm route . I applaud your efforts in trying to make that 4R work . Honestly had you done the adapter flexplate with the gm bell housing on the trans and a hybrid converter from the start I have a feeling it may have worked out being that they know have these bell housings in use a long time along with the converters

• Sponsors (?)

I’m happy you’re going the gm route . I applaud your efforts in trying to make that 4R work . Honestly had you done the adapter flexplate with the gm bell housing on the trans and a hybrid converter from the start I have a feeling it may have worked out being that they know have these bell housings in use a long time along with the converters
There is no hybrid converter when i convert . the Gm trans uses an unaltered GM converter to mate the trans to the 2jz. I had the Hybrid converter...( 4r70 to 2jz) it was the homemade adapter that didn’t work...there was no ford to GM bell to make my trans work.

My buddies was the same way . He re did the cam seals . Still leaked . Pulled the bolt out of the cam gear and boom - hallow . Rtv on the bolt let it cure and Good to go.
I hope to hell youre right. I’d hate to have to do the tear it apart-put it together-tear it apart shuffle with something else.
Where is this hole in the cam that I gotta try and seal up?
*Edit..I just did a google search using leaking oil from exhaust cam gear bolt, and besides recommending that the cam seal be replaced, several found the cam bolt to be leaking. The one thing they all had in common was the use of an aftermarket cam, especially a BC 264.
Maybe I’ll get lucky there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I hope to hell youre right. I’d hate to have to do the tear it apart-put it together-tear it apart shuffle with something else.
Where is this hole in the cam that I gotta try and seal up?
*Edit..I just did a google search using leaking oil from exhaust cam gear bolt, and besides recommending that the cam seal be replaced, several found the cam bolt to be leaking. The one thing they all had in common was the use of an aftermarket cam, especially a BC 264.
Maybe I’ll get lucky there.
When you remove the bolt . There is a press in ball ( well supposed to be ) similar to the ones in the galleys on the block . My friends was completely missing . So any oil the cam saw ( has holes in the casting ) made its way out of the front of the cam bolt threads and did exactly what you’re showing .

There is no hybrid converter when i convert . the Gm trans uses an unaltered GM converter to mate the trans to the 2jz. I had the Hybrid converter...( 4r70 to 2jz) it was the homemade adapter that didn’t work...there was no ford to GM bell to make my trans work.
Correct I was simply stating had you used a gm bell housing from the start like I suggested with a hybrid converter maybe you wouldn’t have had this alignment / vibration issue .

Yeah they’re the same, but that is still too many hurdles to have to jump. I’d still have to buy that 800.00 2jz to GM adapter kit, spend 400.00 on a bell, and have my poor old converter cut apart again and have a GM flywheel pattern welded up instead of the 2jz patten currently..

While that will be about 1500.00 less to do than the 4l80e conversion, I’m over the 4r70. In hindsight you’re right too,..had I just choked that down in the first place instead of trying to go all mad scientist an sht, that trans nightmare would probably be behind me now,...But I didn’t...because it takes me several bitch slaps before reality sinks in.
But...Apples to apples...a 4r has issues...4th gear will not tolerate a power pull...you can only flat foot the car through 3 gears.
A 4l80 will allow me to keep my foot in it through all 4 gears..And if for some unlikely reason, I decide to go for street hero status, and decide I want a 1000 hp engine, A 4l80 is a much better choice to handle that power.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Well I bought the pig..
Torn between “ Do I buy a low mile unit for more money, and run it, or do I buy a hagged out unit, and rebuild it”, I opted for plan A
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=333668498281
its supposed to be a 45k mile trans that has been tested and guaranteed. It also cost me almost a grand. I figured if I bought a toasted 200-400 dollar unit, the internal wear damage to the thing could easily exceed 1000.00, by the time I buy it, the $300.00 rebuild kit, and whatever internal pieces that were wore the fck out. So, i’m gonna take a gamble here, and buy a trans that I’ll only have to upgrade the valve body on with the manual conversion kit ive already purchased.
But just look at this freakin monster...I hope it’s not as big as it looks when comparing it to the 4r70w..Cause that thing is coming to me now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You'll be bucks ahead when this ordeal is over. Hopefully the 4r70 can be sold off and the proceeds make a payment or two on that credit card.

Even at 1000hp I bet the 4L80 will not even be breaking a sweat and laugh. The Turbo400 heritage is strong. Especially considering 2 drunk ass 20 somethings built one (with convertor) for less than $600 and put it behind a 600hp 455 in a 3500lb car and beat the ever living :poo: out of it for 3 years. I don't remember ever even checking the fluid. I think you can rest easy now....until you have to start cutting up the floor to get that big bastard to fit!
:oops:

You'll be bucks ahead when this ordeal is over. Hopefully the 4r70 can be sold off and the proceeds make a payment or two on that credit card.

Even at 1000hp I bet the 4L80 will not even be breaking a sweat and laugh. The Turbo400 heritage is strong. Especially considering 2 drunk ass 20 somethings built one (with convertor) for less than $600 and put it behind a 600hp 455 in a 3500lb car and beat the ever living :poo: out of it for 3 years. I don't remember ever even checking the fluid. I think you can rest easy now....until you have to start cutting up the floor to get that big bastard to fit!
:oops:
Correction..I will not be buck’s ahead...(That’s what trying to use the 4R70w was all about.)
What I will have is my sanity.

Correction..I will not be buck’s ahead...(That’s what trying to use the 4R70w was all about.)
What I will have is my sanity.

Now we go from Sci-Fi to stand up comedy.

You're still building a 78 Ford Fairmont. With a Toyota straight six that's not been made for years. And putting a GM transmission behind it. In your basement.

Sanity has left the building. At least that's what my wife says when she walks thru the garage and see all of the crap I have in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.