1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

• Sponsors (?)

IMG_20180923_211545.jpg

Enjoyed some R&R this weekend but was able to fit an idler last night. Ac compressor took some persuading to spin freely lol.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not dead (incase anyone was wondering).

I've got the bulk of the fuel system parts now: 400lph pump, hard lines, flex line and i want to believe all but two fittings, and some 39# injectors I picked up from @ace305. These are a bit of a stretch to hit my power goals on E85 but I can worry about that later, they're more than enough on pump gas.

I also picked up a volvo electric fuel pump. In my mind it is the easiest and quickest way to get power steering in the car with what I already have. At about 90 bucks shipped thats hard to beat.

I spent a lot of time pondering the gas tank and decided I wanted a factory(ish) tank and intank pump. I've been sitting on a 2000ish tank so last night i dug into it. And I found out a 400 doesn't fit in the basket. Meh, I can live with that. I already needed to add a line in the top hat for a return, I don't think a bracket for the pump will be that much work (also it seems except for cobra tanks, the baskets aren't the greatest). If you've got tips for keeping the fuel where it should be I'm all ears.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have too much to share. I've been working on my upper intake design. I've got about 4.5" inches of clearance for the intake at the throttle body so i had to find something that would fit. I ended up with a 75mm electronic throttlebody from an 04-09 f150. Something else to tackle was plumbing to the stock fuel rails as well as dodging them with the intake I'm working on. After some pondering I settled on these ebay special fuel rails. They'll kick the regulator out enough for my tastes and i'm probably breaking even with what I would have spent on the connectors to the stock rails. As far as their quality goes? Only one in four mounting locations would actually work and some of their tapping could be cleaned up. The bores for the injectors looked good however so a little cleanup elsewhere and some screw holes added isn't that big of a deal.

IMG_20190211_131053.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
why are you restricting yourself so much?? what are we trying to accomplish?

4.5" is from the top of the lower intake to the bottom of the hood (I'd like to keep the stock hood with no hole in it). I should have some wiggle room to tilt the throttle body and bring it forward and down like the holley hi-ram intakes as seen here, but in the end I am a little tight on space. With the new rails I can have a wider plenum too.

IMG_20190211_204246.jpg
IMG_20190211_204243.jpg

@Davedacarpainter technically this is more. I made a shorter crossover. I'm not wild about it but unless that bend as shown is too tight it should work. Any thoughts on a hard line crossover? I'm considering bending one up with flared 6an ends.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not dead (incase anyone was wondering).

I've got the bulk of the fuel system parts now: 400lph pump, hard lines, flex line and i want to believe all but two fittings, and some 39# injectors I picked up from @ace305. These are a bit of a stretch to hit my power goals on E85 but I can worry about that later, they're more than enough on pump gas.

I also picked up a volvo electric fuel pump. In my mind it is the easiest and quickest way to get power steering in the car with what I already have. At about 90 bucks shipped thats hard to beat.

I spent a lot of time pondering the gas tank and decided I wanted a factory(ish) tank and intank pump. I've been sitting on a 2000ish tank so last night i dug into it. And I found out a 400 doesn't fit in the basket. Meh, I can live with that. I already needed to add a line in the top hat for a return, I don't think a bracket for the pump will be that much work (also it seems except for cobra tanks, the baskets aren't the greatest). If you've got tips for keeping the fuel where it should be I'm all ears.
What does a Volvo electric fuel pump have to do with power steering?

Reactions: 1 user