1980 Coupe - Turbo AWD v8 Swap

Here's an EXCLUSIVE look at the development of the throttle controller.

View: https://youtu.be/KVogEmmQZTs

Nothing special here, using a PWM motor controller and a pot to control the throttle.
Will start working out the rest of the system, checking the two tps readings, reading throttle pedal as well as receiving CAN input from the ECU for idle control.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

When your done playing around with that thing we need to talk... lol i can build the circuits just fine but i need access to the source code, I can see myself doing Two of these TB on one intake manifold.... :cautious:

Reactions: 1 user
When your done playing around with that thing we need to talk... lol i can build the circuits just fine but i need access to the source code, I can see myself doing Two of these TB on one intake manifold.... :cautious:
Shouldn't be too hard to do. I need to scour the net for what these things are supposed to sound like when holding a position. So far the quickest response I've gotten is by opening at 100% duty cycle till the tps and the aps match positions and "closing" with a 0% duty cycle and using the spring. I think I COULD reverse the motor and drive the flap closed but idk if that complication is even worth the effort. I need to work on the holding a bit more as right now it seems noisier than it should be. This comes down to figuring out what duty cycle is needed when tps=aps.

I ordered an enclosure and some panel mount plugs to start finalizing the hardware. Adding can is next on the list too.

IMG_20190419_075152.jpg

IMG_20190419_075237.jpg

I started shoehorning in the arduino, the motor driver and the CAN communicator into the enclosure. I picked up some 8 and 10 pin connectors cheap on amazon too, they were cheap but they appear to be decent quality. Only have a couple more wires to plumb in and the rest of this is just coding.

Reactions: 1 users
looks sweet! do you plan on having it ignore signals that are out of range?? if thats the case i would drive it open and have it close upon failure.

Yes. Both the pedal and the throttle have two sensors and I make sure they are within a margin of each other. If they aren't then we throw it into limp mode and throw a code. The TPS signals need to add up to 5v so that is an easy check.

Ok, ok, I'll admit it...I get bugged by the details...

Firstly, I gotta say, that yours is by far the most ambitious build here, and you clearly have the skills, and aren't afraid to wade into it when you don't...you're my kinda guy.

But the one thing keeps bugging the hell outta me.

You've cut the strut towers up because the AWD front suspension is an uca/lca with shock kinda thing...I see that. And,..since the shock in its proper vertical orientation maybe wouldn't be at the right angle/or you couldn't get enough height/and even if you could, you'd still have to figure out a spring and where to place it, is why you did what you did with the cantilevered springs....

So,.....you don't need the tops of the strut towers any more. Why not cut them away then, and build some sort of plate system to add a more finished look to the suspension, so it doesn't have such a " Sawzalled" look?

As amazing as the whole project is,..people like me will focus on the square peg/round hole details. I think that you're cheating yourself out of an A+.

Ok, ok, I'll admit it...I get bugged by the details...

Firstly, I gotta say, that yours is by far the most ambitious build here, and you clearly have the skills, and aren't afraid to wade into it when you don't...you're my kinda guy.

But the one thing keeps bugging the hell outta me.

You've cut the strut towers up because the AWD front suspension is an uca/lca with shock kinda thing...I see that. And,..since the shock in its proper vertical orientation maybe wouldn't be at the right angle/or you couldn't get enough height/and even if you could, you'd still have to figure out a spring and where to place it, is why you did what you did with the cantilevered springs....

So,.....you don't need the tops of the strut towers any more. Why not cut them away then, and build some sort of plate system to add a more finished look to the suspension, so it doesn't have such a " Sawzalled" look?

As amazing as the whole project is,..people like me will focus on the square peg/round hole details. I think that you're cheating yourself out of an A+.

Hah you got me. I didn't cut them for a good bit in case I needed to go back and revert some work (insane right?). Now it is simply because it's been low on the todo list. That said you do raise a good point, I think I can squeeze some metal work in the not too distant future.

Hah you got me. I didn't cut them for a good bit in case I needed to go back and revert some work (insane right?). Now it is simply because it's been low on the todo list. That said you do raise a good point, I think I can squeeze some metal work in the not too distant future.
Ahh...good. You don't know how many sleepless nights I've suffered through wondering if you were planning on doing that.;)

Seriously though...I hope the DBW thing works..another amazing DIY project from you..although it's another head scratcher for me.. Couldn't you have made a traditional cable operated version work much easier? Trust me..coming from a guy that has to build every freaking thing on my car because they don't make things that " just fit" on my engine... But it is alright to just bolt on things every now and then.

You do know that.......right?

One day, the constant uphill walk starts to become less fun...
I want to agree with you but I know I can't help myself. I think there was a good reason for why I chose this way but I don't remember. At this point, I'm closer to having the throttle controller working than finding a cable TB that would swap in. I got all the connectors I needed and will hopefully finish programming it this week.

Ls TB are stupid cheap.... if you do decide to go cable. Cant wait to see the end result of all the hard work.

Btw..... did you get a chance to look into that .jar script?
Not as much as I'd have liked to. I ended up spending a lot of time spring cleaning the past couple weeks. The good news is I have only got a small pie of stuff to toss or box so I should be picking back up on car things.

I did a quick project, I mounted my coils. It's obvious I need to tweak my down pipe but I was already planning on adding a flex in it before I add some hard mounts by the transmission. @CarMichael Angelo I only chopped these a little, does this count as down hill walking?

IMG_20190504_120354.jpg

If you've been wondering where I've been, I took some time to tackle some projects around the house. Lots of yard work, a giant dining table, and lots of dealing with grass. Oh and had a kid!

We're finding our new routine and the big projects are knocked out so I started to get back to work. Spent some time this weekend to drop the motor out for some finish work (trans tunnel, oil pan baffle, etc) and start running fuel lines.

I devised a solution to cleanly mount my fuel and brake lines by doing this:
brackets.jpg

Behold my cutting board brackets! I didn't like the idea of a hundred p clamps for the three lines to I knocked these out in an hour. The bolt goes down through the floor, the top is then tacked down and the clamps get a nylock nut to sandwich it all down.

hard line progress.jpg
more progress.jpg

I got the hard lines roughed into place a little finessing and they should look amazing.

I needed a place for the lines to enter the engine bay so i did some cutting. Some of this work was for a certain someone so they better be happy ;). I've got some thinking to do on how to fill this area and clean it up.
somethings missing.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Those cutting board clamps got me thinking.
I built a computer table for the 'dump truck' years ago from one, cheaper and more compact than one of those store bought ones.
Build my own plug wire hangers :chin
Damn, another 'to do' thing one my list!