Fox 1984 Mustang Project In The Works

cas14271

Jul 5, 2016
Hello, I am new to forums, but not to Mustangs. So far I've had 2 87's, an 89, and a 2001. My father purchased an '84 4cyl Auto with 32,xxx original. By far one of the cleanest, most original fox bodies I have seen. It was hit in the front and pulled back at some point in it's life. I am buying this car from my father and plan to swap a 351 turbo that i build. The goal is a drivable car that can be driven to the strip or even the autocross. Also want to keep it as stock looking as possible to tear up the street rod guys. Have to keep it on a decent budget, but I don't want to build junk. I will post pictures of the car tomorrow. I am looking for advice and knowledge of V8 swaps and turbo builds. I also plan to swap a manual trans in and would also appreciate some input on transmission choices. I look forward to moving forward on this build and hearing what everyone has the think and share. Thank you for reading the post and stay tuned for pictures tomorrow afternoon. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Did not get to taking pictures today. I am going to post some of the pictures before it was washed after sitting for 16 years as soon as i figure out how to post. Also found a set of heads on eBay that made me curious. Item #351627174595. They are no name heads but have a 2.05 intake valve. Does anyone have any experience with heads similar to these? I have read that many people buy them but have enough machine shop $$ in them that in the end it would've been better to just buy good heads in the beginning.

Welcome to stangnet. 4 cyl are great cars to start with. Usually aren't beat on or ragged out.

I've done the swap before. Check out my history. For manual trans a good tko would work. Maybe t56. Depends on what you are looking for.

T56s seem great, but I have looked into the Cobra version, and 6th gear isnt as low as I want and is a bank buster. Might just go with a C4 that breaks necks. But then I am really limited to what motorsports I can get into. Plus I love rowing gears. Very torn about which way this project can go. Can you tell me how to post pictures Sir?

T56s seem great, but I have looked into the Cobra version, and 6th gear isnt as low as I want and is a bank buster. Might just go with a C4 that breaks necks. But then I am really limited to what motorsports I can get into. Plus I love rowing gears. Very torn about which way this project can go. Can you tell me how to post pictures Sir?

The easiest method is to drag and drop them to your post. When you use this method, be sure to allow enough time for your images to upload before hitting the POST button.
Even though it doesn't look like it, when you drag and drop, you are initiating an upload.

211080.jpg

From other applications, you can use CTRL+C to copy the image and then CTRL+V to paste the image after moving your cursor to the target location.

You can also use the UPLOAD a FILE button on the bottom right of your text input window.

Also if you're going to build a turbo car, I highly recommend sticking with an automatic trans. The auto will keep the motor in boost the entire time you rip it. It will make a much quicker car than a manual trans. If you don't mind not having overdrive just use a properly built C4 trans. You also won't need as steep of a rear gear ratio. I would use a 3.08-3.55 ring and pinion. This would also help acceleration and still keep highway rpm's manageable.

As for now, I'm more than likely going to build the bottom end for boost and run either NA or spray for the time being with a carb. I will be able to save up for a good turbo and all the goodies over the winter. I don't like the idea of running an eBay turbo when I'm looking for some reliability.

20160604_171408.jpg
20160604_171356.jpg
20160604_171428.jpg
20160604_171441.jpg

These are the current pictures that I have. Car is in excellent shape. I am going to take more pictures when I get home from work. The interior is almost perfect. Very excited to move forward in this build. Hopefully I can get good tips and advice from other members.

Reactions: 1 users
20160604_171408.jpg
20160604_171356.jpg
20160604_171428.jpg
20160604_171441.jpg

These are the current pictures that I have. Car is in excellent shape. I am going to take more pictures when I get home from work. The interior is almost perfect. Very excited to move forward in this build. Hopefully I can get good tips and advice from other members.

So THAT'S what a car should look like with paint!

Very cool car to start off with man! Here's mine:
image.jpeg

It might need a paint job, just sayin'......

Someday, mine will have a coyote. A bored and stroked 351 does have a really btchin' appeal though.

Keep us up to date with pictures of your progress man, it's definitely a long haul, but it's really worth it.

It is my first fox body that doesn't have primer Dave! And a T-Top notch Coyote? Thats gotta be a first. I've never seen a notch with T-Tops in person. Nice hubcaps too! Lol.

And 5literman, when my father and I went and looked at it, it was sitting in the garage where it lived for 16 years after the old woman started driving another vehicle. I was crawling over this car top to bottom and could not find a lick of rust. Saw the spot in front of the strut tower where it had been heated and pulled, but it's an excellent job. My dad asked the man how much he wanted, and the man said, "I am looking for $500." I have never seen my father move so fast in his life.

Reactions: 2 users
20160706_205455.jpg
20160706_205446.jpg
20160706_205455.jpg
20160706_205446.jpg
20160706_205508.jpg
20160706_205534.jpg
20160706_205518.jpg

Ready to go to church every Sunday. Or ready to have it's chicken heart removed and replaced with a forced induction God damned American bald eagle heart that runs on Budweiser and shoots flames.

Reactions: 2 users
My hubs are worse thsn yours! Haha. I wanted to keep the hubcaps on my car even after i put on good wheels and tires. But 14 inch wheels ruin my day. I'm sure a stroll at the local U-Pull-It can bring me some nice ugly hubcaps. I really want this car to look exactly the same as it does now. Except 500 horsepower. I have to see if i can find the notchback street racer that your notch reminds me of. I think it's a 351w based turbo car as well!

Reactions: 1 user
It is my first fox body that doesn't have primer Dave! And a T-Top notch Coyote? Thats gotta be a first. I've never seen a notch with T-Tops in person. Nice hubcaps too! Lol.

And 5literman, when my father and I went and looked at it, it was sitting in the garage where it lived for 16 years after the old woman started driving another vehicle. I was crawling over this car top to bottom and could not find a lick of rust. Saw the spot in front of the strut tower where it had been heated and pulled, but it's an excellent job. My dad asked the man how much he wanted, and the man said, "I am looking for $500." I have never seen my father move so fast in his life.
BTW, when you want to get another member's attention, put an @ sign before the ID. It will send them an alert, like this @A5literMan , read this post.

Reactions: 1 user