1986 Mustang GT Interior questions

Fitzjack

May 9, 2019
Kentucky
Hey guys,

I'm glad I finally got around to signing up here as that's the sign that I finally have the money to start restoring the Mustang my dad left me.

So, anyway the info on the car is obviously the meat of the post. It's a 1986 Mustang GT Hatchback with the 5-speed and manual windows and locks. The car hasn't had an easy life as my dad bought it from the state police in late 89. The car burnt partially in 90 due to the catalytic converters stopping up and that's where my interior issues begin. The knee panel on the dash is gone from fire melting it so I obviously need that and the stereo was ripped out by one of my dad's friends who broke into the car and stole it.

So my big question is, where does anyone find the original dash because I do not want to have to completely replace the wiring to bring an 87+ dash into the car. I've exhausted all options on where I could look at this point so I'm open to all information.

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

A donor car, or salvage yard is your only path towards replacing that.

Just be aware. While there still are cars in the south that can be found in a yard, the inner dash assy, will be a cracked, brittle mess.

I'd think twice though about whether or not you're better off dealing with it, or ditching it. A fire hot enough to melt the dash plastic was more than hot enough to melt everything underneath it as well.. ( heater, wiring, and the ecu circuitry that fits in the front pass side kick panel) does this car run?

Got any pictures of what you're dealing with?

Agreed on junkyard sources. Some other fox platform cars had similar dashes to the Mustang such as the Fairmont/Zephyr as well.

A donor car, or salvage yard is your only path towards replacing that.

Just be aware. While there still are cars in the south that can be found in a yard, the inner dash assy, will be a cracked, brittle mess.

I'd think twice though about whether or not you're better off dealing with it, or ditching it. A fire hot enough to melt the dash plastic was more than hot enough to melt everything underneath it as well.. ( heater, wiring, and the ecu circuitry that fits in the front pass side kick panel) does this car run?

Yes, it runs wonderful actually. My dad rebuilt the interior after the fire with a donor car but my mom insisted it get parked (long list of stupid reasons she hates the car).

I actually drive it every weekend but I'm starting to focus on cleaning the interior up good and wanted to fix the dash because I miss having a stereo in it.

Got any pictures of what you're dealing with?

Agreed on junkyard sources. Some other fox platform cars had similar dashes to the Mustang such as the Fairmont/Zephyr as well.

I unfortunately cannot find any in junkyards since people near me are grabbing 79-86's to build dirt track cars and just destroy the interior.

I'm thinking it'll be easier to find an 89-93 mustang and pull the entire dash and console and update to that at this point.

I unfortunately cannot find any in junkyards since people near me are grabbing 79-86's to build dirt track cars and just destroy the interior.

I'm thinking it'll be easier to find an 89-93 mustang and pull the entire dash and console and update to that at this point.
Might be a good idea to put out a craigslist ad in search of an interior then?

@Davedacarpainter , your salvage yard guy have any 4 eye cars beyond saving that still have a decent dash?

I'm getting married in September and going on a cruise for our honeymoon. So I'll keep looking and hopefully be able to buy one after all those festivities. I was just wanting to begin research on if there was some secret to finding one that I've been missing or something since I've looked the last year and seen approximately 0.

I hate people like that. I have what I think is a 82 or 83, not sure, had it forever, there is even a small tree (or large weed, not sure) growing through the engine compartment, can't remember but I think most of the dash is there.

I hate people like that. I have what I think is a 82 or 83, not sure, had it forever, there is even a small tree (or large weed, not sure) growing through the engine compartment, can't remember but I think most of the dash is there.

It's just general laziness in not wanting to do it right. Since yours is that old, you probably know the funky little dummy lights I'm talking about below the stereo. Anyway, I have no clue why but I find them super cool.

After tearing out my interior, I found the little panel to be in almost mint condition, funny how everything else deteriorated so bad.

Interior is so far off for me at the moment that I don't even know if I'll be using mine.

Might use some prius interior parts:mg:.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user