Electrical 1987 5.0 AOD hatchback- what ECM belongs?

Vulpes5.0

5 Year Member
Nov 17, 2018
Warner Robins, Georgia
I bought a nice mustang, cranks but no start, and realized pretty quick someone cleanly cut the ECM out, along with the pigtail. I presume that it was stolen, but maybe the owner needed some fast cash and that was simple enough. regardless, what ECM actually belongs in the car? I went ahead and ordered the harness since the pigtail itself was roughly the same price. It's a 1987 5.0 hatchback with the AOD transmission
IMG_5243.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

All the following are mass air unless they say Speed Density
8LD - MANUAL 88 5.0L Mustang Speed Density
8LF - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Speed Density
A9L - 89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M1 - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
X3Z - 93 5.0L Cobra 5-spd Mass Air internally calibrated for 24 lb injector
A9P - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto Mass Air
A9S - 88-93 5.0L Mustang California Mass Air
C3W - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
DA1 - 87 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Speed Density
VM1 - 86 5.0 5-SPD speed density
VJ1 - 86 5.0 AOD speed density
this is a list I found that jrichker made a while back but does not show 87 aod numbers, sorry, still looking.

Reactions: 1 user
The things people do blows my mind. It's ONE bolt to remove the harness....ONE.. What a mess they made cutting all those wires!
Yeah that’s insane. Just about the easiest thing to remove on the whole damn car.

Funny story, the other week we were messing with a guys 89 who brought it into the shop because it wasn’t running right. We scanned it and it was throwing a code for a bad MAP and a few other things so after testing wires to make sure wiring was good, we replaced the MAP. It didn’t help at all, was still running out rich.

After my buddy banging his head against the wall I looked under the kick panel and saw the number on the computer. It wasn’t an a9l, it was a speed density computer for a 3.0l Ford Taurus lol. I couldn’t believe the car even ran at all. Car was taken to a shop before where the owner thinks they swapped in the wrong ecu.

Replaced that, and a fuel pump and the car ran great.

87 is an odd year for wiring due to how they routed pin 30 through the start circuit. In 88 later cars you never want to run a 5-spd ECU in An AOD car. Will fry the ECU.

Unsure if it applies to 1987 and a few early 1988 cars. By mid 1988 Ford began wiring all cars as if they had mass air in prep for 1989, but I don't think there was an ECU change.

So , * in theory* you could run a 1988 AOD ECU.

87 is an odd year for wiring due to how they routed pin 30 through the start circuit. In 88 later cars you never want to run a 5-spd ECU in An AOD car. Will fry the ECU.

Unsure if it applies to 1987 and a few early 1988 cars. By mid 1988 Ford began wiring all cars as if they had mass air in prep for 1989, but I don't think there was an ECU change.

So , * in theory* you could run a 1988 AOD ECU.
I've looked around a bit more and "a1 cardone 784484" seems to be the one, but every online retailer seems to be very vague about transmission types. irritating as hell man. Edit- Rockauto seems to mention automatic trans. lots o money :(

I checked there too but they don't lost codes.

I hate to say it, but check over on www.corral.net. They have a few posters there that are very good with eec type questions. Just ignore the one rude guy
is corral the competitor to this website? and i checked on the cardone website and 784484 should work in my year with auto. i plan on swapping to manual eventually but it needs to run first lol. i just need a second opinion on this before i buy it and find out it won't work. im a broke kid so 150 bucks is a lot to toss out haha

I checked there too but they don't lost codes.

I hate to say it, but check over on www.corral.net. They have a few posters there that are very good with eec type questions. Just ignore the one rude guy

Corral is just another mustang site. Not really a competition. The site is good, but I agree on the Rude guy. He is very condescending and makes most new members just leave and not come back. I say he is the main reason that site has gone downhill the way it has in the last couple of years.

Reactions: 1 users
Found your thread over there.
https://forums.corral.net/forums/ee...-0-mustang-gt-hatchback-what-eec-belongs.html
The "someone" is indy2000. His responses are correct, but usually incomprehensible.
It's holiday time, you might not get a good response until next week.
Decipha is the EEC expert.
This is his forum. https://eectuning.org/forums/
You should be able to find the correct part number over there.
If you had the 5-spd, my DA1 for 1988 would work. It's for sale to anyone who needs it.
jrichker's list is missing the '88 year.

Attachments

• DA1 SD ECU #2.jpg
    DA1 SD ECU #2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 385
https://forums.corral.net/forums/ee...-0-mustang-gt-hatchback-what-eec-belongs.html
The "someone" is indy2000. His responses are correct, but usually incomprehensible.
If you had the 5-spd, my DA1 for 1988 would work. It's for sale to anyone who needs it.
I tested it, and the DC does work. one thing that i didn't quite notice until i went to go put the ECM in, it actually says it on the mounting bracket which one belongs, a big ol DC printed on there. my dumb*** didn't even bother to look.

I tested it, and the DC does work. one thing that i didn't quite notice until i went to go put the ECM in, it actually says it on the mounting bracket which one belongs, a big ol DC printed on there. my dumb*** didn't even bother to look.
I found the bookmark list of EEC's.
http://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page17.html
DC - 5.0 1986-88 Mustang - SD-SFI / Auto
DE - 5.0 1986-88 Mustang - SD-SFI / Auto

Reactions: 1 users

I know im late but I dont frequent here often.

Minor correction, my website and forum is www.efidynotuning.com

All the following are mass air unless they say Speed Density
8LD - MANUAL 88 5.0L Mustang Speed Density
8LF - Auto 88 5.0L Mustang Speed Density
A9L - 89-93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
A3M1 - 93 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Mass Air
X3Z - 93 5.0L Cobra 5-spd Mass Air internally calibrated for 24 lb injector
A9P - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto Mass Air
A9S - 88-93 5.0L Mustang California Mass Air
C3W - 89-93 5.0L Mustang Auto
DA1 - 87 5.0L Mustang 5-spd Speed Density
VM1 - 86 5.0 5-SPD speed density
VJ1 - 86 5.0 AOD speed density
this is a list I found that jrichker made a while back but does not show 87 aod numbers, sorry, still looking.

This list has an error.

1988 5.0 AOD is a "DC" Computer.
Part number E7SF-12A650-C1A

I took this one out of my car

IMG_3126.JPG