Electrical 1989...heater core out

justin82

Sep 14, 2017
really dumb question?
wanted to drive my car a few times...core is out, no heat...stock alternator...a portable heater that plugs into the cig outlet....good or bad idea
thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You will run out of electrical power before the heater starts to put out much heat...

Figure this:
Ignition system & computer = 12 amps
Fuel pump = 12 amps
Exterior lights = 15 amps
Fan (heater or A/C) = 15 amps (can run between 5-25 amps depending on setting)
Radio & instruments = 10 amps
Wipers = 10 amps
Rear window defroster = 5 amps (optional, not found on most southern fox mustangs unless the car moved down with the snowbird owner…)

That's grand total of 79 amps from a 65 amp alternator. Talk about overdrawn at the bank!

Its time to either replace the heater core or upgrade to a 3G or 6G alternator. See the link below for the how to do it the right way...
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/3g-alternator-install-a-how-to.646825/#post-6673702

thanks man....those are the numbers I've always wondered about, just wasn't sure how to ask in a question...worded great man!...ughhh heater core is something I definatly dont want to do....thanks for the info!

Heater core is not a bad job to do. Everyone always talks like it's a 10 hour job and it's not. I had my dash out in less than an hour. Total time start to finish on the heater core (I have done both of my foxes) was a little over 3 hours. Latemodel Restoration has a pretty good step by step video.

Reactions: 1 user
looks intimidating...seen the video, ughhh

There are lots of pieces and parts. Take your time, take lots of pics with your phone as you pull it apart. You can refer to these if you get stumped putting it back together. Take pics of any electrical harnesses or linkages.

It's not tough. Once you do it, you'll wonder why you sweated it so long. If you modify the box while you have it apart, it will be really easy to get back in but you'll never have to. LoL

A nichols worth of free advice, when attaching plastic parts just snug the screws, I put a small dab of silicon on the metal where the screw goes and just snug the screws. I've come across too many broken plastic pieces that were just over tightened, the silicon helps with the dreaded plastic rattle. Just don't use gasket maker, clear or blue will stay rubbery and not harden.

Reactions: 1 users