Exhaust 1990 5.0 BBK equal length shorty header install - close to steering arm

dwb

Oct 9, 2017
Hi all,

Working on the exhaust.. installed BBK 1 - 5/8” equal length shorty headers and had to move the oil dipstick a bit to make the driver side header fit. Going under to start the off-road X pipe install I noticed the header is really close.. like damn near on the steering arm..

Any suggestions? Pic attached.
Should I pull the header off and heat wrap the lower part of the header or all of it? Should I just heat wrap the steering rod?

Pic attached

Attachments

• A20642B5-3603-4601-8709-68E710659D63.jpeg
    A20642B5-3603-4601-8709-68E710659D63.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 495
  • Sponsors (?)

Heat won't affect it. But you don't want it contacting or you might get annoying vibes or wear on the header.

The column does have some adjustments. The center shaft can expand or collapse in and out a bit and there are 4 bolts under the dash you can loosen to try to shift the column a tad.

If that doesn't work. Mark where the shaft is closest, take the header off and using a large socket, heat the header up with a torch and then dimple the header where the shaft comes close. Don't worry about going too crazy. You won't hurt power.

I had to do the same with my bbk headers when I installed a MM aftermarket shaft in my car. You should have clearance with a stock shaft though. Usually worn engine mounts can get it pretty close, but I'd try adjusting the column first

Reactions: 1 user
Heat won't affect it. But you don't want it contacting or you might get annoying vibes or wear on the header.

The column does have some adjustments. The center shaft can expand or collapse in and out a bit and there are 4 bolts under the dash you can loosen to try to shift the column a tad.

If that doesn't work. Mark where the shaft is closest, take the header off and using a large socket, heat the header up with a torch and then dimple the header where the shaft comes close. Don't worry about going too crazy. You won't hurt power.

I had to do the same with my bbk headers when I installed a MM aftermarket shaft in my car. You should have clearance with a stock shaft though. Usually worn engine mounts can get it pretty close, but I'd try adjusting the column first

Thanks for the reply, I will see if I can adjust it a bit and if I can’t and it rubs etc, I’ll try denting a bit.
Looking at the stock heads, they almost have a dent where the arm would have been also.

Attachments

• C110EE53-21B4-48A4-996F-93BB9DE55FCB.jpeg
    C110EE53-21B4-48A4-996F-93BB9DE55FCB.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 455