1994 mustang GT convertible top out of adjustment

Lawdawg86

Sep 30, 2020
Arkansas
So I bought the car from the PO, she told me they’d replaced the top but that it sounds like somethings not right in the back. She told me the drivers side top won’t go all the way up to latch and so she worried it would break window. Never worked on a convertible top before but what adjustments can I make and where can I make them. Unfortunately my Chilton and Haynes don’t give me any advice, so I just need advice on how to adjust it because it seems it’s off tilt just a bit. Any ideas, diagrams, or anything to help out guys?

Attachments

• 9210AE09-983C-4EAF-9680-39EF658FC56E.jpeg
    9210AE09-983C-4EAF-9680-39EF658FC56E.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Sponsors (?)

I dont know how to bring a website here but Google the Ford Service manual with your cars info. Your car has different ways to adjust. There is a dowel pin halfway on your frame. It can be adjusted is the good news.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont know how to bring a website here but Google the Ford Service manual with your cars info. Your car has different ways to adjust. There is a dowel pin halfway on your frame. It can be adjusted is the good news.
Yeah I’ve heard there is a dowel to adjust it, hopefully it’s a fairly easy process. Even if it’s a pain I’m sure I can manage it. I literally paid nothing for the car. Clean title, 123k miles, black leather interior, black top, and black paint, runs too. What do y’all think I paid?

Yeah I’ve heard there is a dowel to adjust it, hopefully it’s a fairly easy process. Even if it’s a pain I’m sure I can manage it. I literally paid nothing for the car. Clean title, 123k miles, black leather interior, black top, and black paint, runs too. What do y’all think I paid?
You said you 'literally ' paid nothing for the car.

Oops, you just posted on that thread, sorry.
There are some instructions in that thread, it didn't cover adjustments?
It posted instructions but no pictures and he said to the other guy he would email him the info on it. This is my first convertible GT and only 2nd mustang I’ve ever owned I’m a GM guy so don’t get me wrong I love the mustangs bud know mainly about motors not stuff like convertible parts. I wouldn’t have a clue what someone was talking about if they said what the other guy did. I don’t know any of those parts, and so without pics or illustrations I’m a dead duck for now.

Verts have too many moving parts for me. I know there is a cable and some screw stops at a few joints but that is only because I recently dismantled a top frame for parts.
I just took mine to a upholstery shop that does tops and he did it all.

Verts have too many moving parts for me. I know there is a cable and some screw stops at a few joints but that is only because I recently dismantled a top frame for parts.
I just took mine to a upholstery shop that does tops and he did it all.
I think that’s what I’m going to end up doing if I can’t find some answers to this one. I highly doubt any mechanics around here know Jack squat about them so it’ll be a upholster job unless someone comes up with a set of illustrations. I saw one for a 01 Vert, but I’m pretty sure they share different frames

I think it is behind the trim panel by the back seat.
If it’s back there that won’t be too bad. If this freaking weather would just warm up around here I wouldn’t mind working on the dang car. Yesterday it was cold as heck and I stayed in the car to stay warm while working on it but you can only move so many places after you’ve broken your back and torn out your knees. Plus it doesn’t help being 6’3” in a mustang trying to work on things. I’ll likely be taking out the front seat and the back seat if this becomes pretty in depth

You're gonna be pulling the back seat to get the trim panel off so pull the front too, 6'3" is a long way down.
I’m about to give up on this thing I can’t figure out how in the heck the passenger side is perfect and drivers side is drooping like that. I found that adjustment nut but the one I found doesn’t allow it to slide back and forth like I’ve been reading. Must be another one below the back panel

Alright. I pulled the seat out went through the steps of how to do it as best as I could find, mainly just guessing and seeing what moved. I’ve came to the conclusion that it’s either the seals are old and shrunken or someone’s about to get a 94 mustang GT with 130k pretty cheap.