1994 mustang GT convertible top out of adjustment

• Sponsors (?)

Get it looked at by a pro, it may just be an adjustment or some trick they use.
Gotta do something. I tried using my legs earlier to push up and pull down on that adjustment and really tweaked my back. I’m gonna let someone else look at it. It’s a straight bodied car other than that darn top the motors great and sounds good. Only other thing that ticks me off is the idiot ex husband had a alarm put on it and some loud ass horn and there’s wires strung out under the dash I’m gonna have to go through and take out what’s not factory

Reactions: 1 user
I ordered new weatherstripping for it today. What kind of adhesive do you guys use? I’ve got some but it’s not that yellow kind I used to use in the body shop, I can’t find any really solid adhesive anymore.

Ok, so I’ve adjusted the top on the drivers side as much as I can. I can’t get the sag out.‘I cannot find the balance adjuster link. I loosened the rear bolts, pulled down on the bar, and turned that adjuster wheel like it said but I can’t get it out. I’ve searched and searched for the balance link adjuster for the 1194 GT and can’t find it. I put new weatherstripping on today because I was tired of hearing the wind noise. I’m about to sell this thing if I can’t fix this issue. I hate giving up o anything but I’m at my wits end here. I’ll post a pic of the inside and what it looks like outside. The passenger window is below the top, but the drivers side saga so much that it sticks out past the convertible top and doesn’t shield it from rain. The hex head adjustment where you can slide it back and forth to adjust the sag I never could find it, all the listings were very vague snd didn’t show where the part was at, I’m showing a passenger side look before weatherstripping also, the other three are one right before new stripping and two more are after new weatherstripping. Also do I adjust when top is locked or unlocked and raised with the pins out of the holes?PLEASE HELP!!!!

Attachments

• CE42C016-8E0E-4FD2-81F6-E0DACC48DCCE.jpeg
    CE42C016-8E0E-4FD2-81F6-E0DACC48DCCE.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 9ACA1A3A-2F76-4DAA-8C8E-BFB1CEC80BD5.jpeg
    9ACA1A3A-2F76-4DAA-8C8E-BFB1CEC80BD5.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 67E2688B-7FBA-4C7B-83FA-1A087E11E32F.jpeg
    67E2688B-7FBA-4C7B-83FA-1A087E11E32F.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 5136ACEF-A891-48EB-9F77-243EC8B0FABA.jpeg
    5136ACEF-A891-48EB-9F77-243EC8B0FABA.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 78
Ok, I redirected myself from that other archaic thread that we both commented on. I probably won't be much help with this either, I've not really messed with my convertible top other than ripping the old top off before finding another and just replacing the whole thing frame and all. But just by looking at this while I'm at work, it looks like there should be some hard stops somewhere AND/OR the top is stretched too tight. I have my old frame just sitting, I can take a look at it when I get home from work to see if there's anything I can help with from that aspect of it. I mean there's no material covering anything, I should be able to see that area with no problems. Other than that, my suggestion would be the same as it is for myself, I'm going to let someone else handle replacing my car's top when it comes time to do it. Granted, mine's not an SN, but I'd think the mechanics of it all would be more or less the same. :shrug:

Ok, I redirected myself from that other archaic thread that we both commented on. I probably won't be much help with this either, I've not really messed with my convertible top other than ripping the old top off before finding another and just replacing the whole thing frame and all. But just by looking at this while I'm at work, it looks like there should be some hard stops somewhere AND/OR the top is stretched too tight. I have my old frame just sitting, I can take a look at it when I get home from work to see if there's anything I can help with from that aspect of it. I mean there's no material covering anything, I should be able to see that area with no problems. Other than that, my suggestion would be the same as it is for myself, I'm going to let someone else handle replacing my car's top when it comes time to do it. Granted, mine's not an SN, but I'd think the mechanics of it all would be more or less the same. :shrug:
I think they should be somewhat the same. If you spot anything that looks like that balance link adjuster with a screw in it to adjust it, it seems like it’ll be at the bottom of the frame. Hopefully. If we didn’t have severe weather coming our way in the way of hail, tornadoes and rain id pull the seat out again and go through it completely to find it, but I’ll have to wait till it’s not raining to do it

About halfway down the page. It looks like it was even written for the SN cars. :shrug: You might want to look at this more closely than I did, I just scanned over it.
I’ve looked it over pretty dang good, in the car with the seat and backrest out, I’m gonna take another look tomorrow, I’m not seeing that part but maybe once the rain and wind die down by tomorrow I can get in there and really take a look

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to look at that frame yesterday. I was home for a total of 40 minutes before being called back into work. I didn't get back home til after 9 and was in bed by 10 to be back here first thing this morning. I'll try to get a look tonight after work though.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to look at that frame yesterday. I was home for a total of 40 minutes before being called back into work. I didn't get back home til after 9 and was in bed by 10 to be back here first thing this morning. I'll try to get a look tonight after work though.
It’s ok, I was in bed by nine, couldn’t get shy work done on it at all yesterday cause it was raining the whole time, and then late in the evening some tornado warnings went off and I had to go make sure the straps for the cover wouldn’t blow off

I looked, I took everything apart even the rear apron, and it’s not there. That Ford manual portion that shows those parts aren’t in the 94. I sent it to a body shop owner and he verified it’s not in the 94. I think I’m just going to get the entire top replaced.

I looked, I took everything apart even the rear apron, and it’s not there. That Ford manual portion that shows those parts aren’t in the 94. I sent it to a body shop owner and he verified it’s not in the 94. I think I’m just going to get the entire top replaced.
That'll most likely solve the problem! And you shouldn't have to worry about the top for a long time. :cheers:

That'll most likely solve the problem! And you shouldn't have to worry about the top for a long time. :cheers:
They quoted me $1300 for top plus labor with defrost. Not sure if that’s a good price or not but having a new top would sure beat dealing with what I’m doing. Least they can take it all off the frame and see what needs to be done.

I tried to follow the conversation today while at work and seen your pictures. Are you talking that your frame or your canvas is wrong?

I took pictures of my top (frame) car was manufactured in late 94 but slotted as a 95 model. Driver's side.

My canvas was replaced for $1500 and has a glass rear window with defrost.

20201125_161356_HDR.jpg
20201125_161440_HDR.jpg
20201125_161445_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I took a pic of what looks to be a hard stop at that joint in the frame. It looks like a setscrew and all you'd need is an allen wrench. :shrug:

IMG_20201125_170543.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I tried to follow the conversation today while at work and seen your pictures. Are you talking that your frame or your canvas is wrong?

I took pictures of my top (frame) car was manufactured in late 94 but slotted as a 95 model. Driver's side.

My canvas was replaced for $1500 and has a glass rear window with defrost.

20201125_161356_HDR.jpg
20201125_161440_HDR.jpg
20201125_161445_HDR.jpg
Frame isn’t wrong the link in the description for how to adjust it is wrong. We don’t have the barnacle link adjuster with the set screw like it shows in the link, and several other pieces. I’m gonna get my top replaced and have them money with it

Ok, I took a pic of what looks to be a hard stop at that joint in the frame. It looks like a setscrew and all you'd need is an allen wrench. :shrug:

IMG_20201125_170543.jpg
Yeah that’s the stopper for it if it’s too close, and bumping my problem is it’s not going far enough up to do that, so adjusting mine doesn’t do me any good. The pic they are talking about shows a long set screw on a device that will allow you to turn in and out and make it go forwards and backwards

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

For whatever reason I had it in my head that it was over traveling. :doh:

I think I posted earlier that it could very well be that the (canvas/vinyl/whatever your top is made of) could be too tight. If that's the case, and you're looking to just have it replaced now, having it redone should alleviate the issue completely.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

For whatever reason I had it in my head that it was over traveling. :doh:

I think I posted earlier that it could very well be that the (canvas/vinyl/whatever your top is made of) could be too tight. If that's the case, and you're looking to just have it replaced now, having it redone should alleviate the issue completely.
The top is vinyl and is overstretched for sure. It had set under a car cover for over 2 years when I got it, and the old lady said the top was original cause her late son never had the money chance or money to replace it. Oddly there is no tears or anything it’s just stretched to the limit. Now I’ve got some other issues to fix in the meantime. I did the gauge cluster repair with the worm gear and main cog, and then going to figure out the wiring. There’s an aftermarket alarm on the car I just don’t have the fob. So I may see what brand it is and get one for it, oh and the drivers door if you lock it she says it won’t come back open and unlock. I’ve got the door key I think more than likely that little yellow elbow that keeps the arm on is broken, I’ve got another one so it’s no big deal. I also need to get in my brothers shop he’s been wanting to use for his drag car and get the rear main seal replaced. It’s getting too damn cold out to do it outside.