Brakes 1995 3.8 - What kind of bubble flare??

mstang95

5 Year Member
May 6, 2018
Pennsylvania
I'm replacing a couple brake lines on my '95 V6, and boy am I having a time. I'm trying to do this strange bubble flare that's on the ABS end and also that goes into the fitting that connects to the line heading to the rear.

I have the Eastwood vise mounted flare tool, but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the same flare. The ones I do are just a bit more round, whereas the flare on the factory line is very wide and flat - I've attached an image.

Does anyone know what this flare is and what it takes to make it? Perhaps the bubble flares I am making on the Eastwood would seal anyway, even if they're not exactly the same? I can attach a picture of one of those if it would be helpful.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_110934948.jpg
    IMG_20180811_110934948.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Sponsors (?)

It's a bubble flare. No real special type. Modern brake lines are either double/inverted flare, or bubble flare.

What do yours look like? Have you tried to install it? Keep in mind that fitting has been installed. Try to install one of yours and then remove and check

It's a bubble flare. No real special type. Modern brake lines are either double/inverted flare, or bubble flare.

What do yours look like? Have you tried to install it? Keep in mind that fitting has been installed. Try to install one of yours and then remove and check

Here are a couple of mine. The Eastwood tool has "operation 1 4.75mm DIN" and "operation 1 3/16", so I'm not totally sure which I'm supposed to be using to make a bubble flare. The pin in the center of the 4.75mm "DIN" one is more cone-shaped, while the pins in every other one are straight, yet the regular 3/16" operation 1 fits perfectly into the factory bubble while the "DIN" does not. The manual for the tool says you have a bubble flare after operation 1, and then if you do operation 2 you get a double flare, whereas they have a video online where a guy says you use the DIN setting to get a bubble flare. I would just call and ask them to clarify but they are not open on weekends and I was hoping to get it done during the weekend.

IMG_20180818_204025549.jpg

IMG_20180818_204628367.jpg

And here is the factory line, followed by some brand new line with the same flare:

IMG_20180818_204715526.jpg

IMG_20180818_204744381.jpg

Well, it's past the weekend, not sure if you have your answer.

I'm not sure about your particular tool, but mine has different dies for bubble vs double flares.
Yours looks like it's truly making the "part 1" of a double-flare operation - more "flat" at the top and ready to be pushed into the tube to form the double-flare.

This is the tool I have: Amazon product ASIN B00AOTBVJQView: https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Van-Tools-165-Master-Flaring/dp/B00AOTBVJQ

The black dies are for the 1st step of a double-flaring operation.
The chrome dies are for a bubble flare.
The chrome ones have a different shape, and result in a more pronounced bubble.

The brake lines are 3/16".
A 4.75mm die should fit a 3/16" line, 3/16" is ~4.76mm.
In my kit, a 4.75mm bubble die is provided, no separate 3/16" since they're close enough, and as bubble flares are generally sized metric.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not the tool pushes into an existing, used flare, or the shape of that flare. Those are crushed to some degree on installation. As long as the die fits nicely into your new brake line and has the right shape the result will work.

The diagram below is handy - SAE fittings (like 3/16) will result in a single flare like the one at the left.
DIN (metric) fittings (like 4.75mm bubble) will give you a fitting like the one in the middle. Yours looks like that to me.
You'll notice the fitting is shaped a little differently to accept the different shape of the formed line.
The 3rd picture is a double-flare, those are pretty much the same on both.

1534818502152.jpeg

Last edited: