1999 Gt 'vert... Buy It?

Sketchy_GT

Nov 13, 2016
I've found a 1999 GT convertible here locally in north Alabama for a grand total of $5,000 with just under 96,000 miles. Took it for a test drive today and I love the way it drove (first 5 speed New Edge I've ever drove) my only problem with the car is that i noticed that the trunk had a damp spot and the passenger rear floorpan area was damp. It has recently rained about 3-4 inches over two days. I just don't want to get in over my head in a buy, but then again its really low miles for the model so it makes it hard to pass up

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a possible top leak. There is an area on each side of the rear window to check first. From the outside, look under the "flaps" to the sides of rear windows for a small wear hole. Next, just have someone watching inside and start spraying water on the back of the car. I doubt it is a serious issue unless the top is worn bad. Even at that, the right car is worth the replacement top.

A kick butt rain storm can show up the age of the vehicle in terms of leaks. I have had several ragtops that would leak at certain times ie '85 GT vert that could go through any rain storm but had to be careful washing it. Easy enough to run down leaks using the hose. I would just check for bad rust and then not worry about it. Good low mileage examples are getting harder to find, I looked several months before finding my perfect 81K GT. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone, I've decided that I'm gonna get the car. I cant make myself pass up a beautiful New Edge (my favorite body style) with that low mileage even with a small leak. I've crawled around under it no rust and it is a local Alabama car so it was never driven in salt so with that being said i hope to go get it this weekend

I'll get you pictures asap but i did go buy the car yesterday, and I love the car so far but I noticed that when i put my key in the key reminder sound dings until i crank the car like the door is open but the door open light doesnt come on

image1.JPG
image2.JPG
I just purchased a 2000 Mustang GT convertible a week ago 74,000 miles for $3300. And then of course it rained hard all week and when I had the car park on my driveway goes up I had a little bit of water in the passenger floorboard front but when I parked it goes down it didn't leak. Amazingly this car has new original top on it still and it is in extremely good condition

Not a red person, except for the Laser Red I do like, very nice looking GT! I think the graphite ? colored interior should be better than the black/charcoal in the sun with the top down. 74K and only $3300.00, I looked for many months and couldn't get anything even close to that, good job!