1999 Mustang GT, E-Brake Assembly/Wiring Failure (Help Needed)

Justyhead

May 22, 2019
Pennsylvania
On my 1999 Mustang GT (Convertible), you need to engage the E-Brake which will then trigger the dashboard parking brake light to go on, and once it's on, the top can go down, or up. However, the assembly has been failing about 9 out of 10 times and I need to try to pull it up, release it, repeat about 20 times before I get it. On top of that, the actual parking brake handle/assembly disconnected from the chassis (OEM welding broke), what are the fixes and recommendations.

To sum it all up, the parking brake welding broke and the handle is free-form in the console, and the brake will trigger the dashboard light to go on very rarely, which is needed for the convertible to go up or down.

I attached a picture of what I mean by the actual parking brake assembly welding broke and released it.

UPDATE: Hopefully this helps anyone that may experience this issue but essentially, the parking brake switch is out of the path of the emergency brake, so right now, when the brake is engaged, it's high enough up where I can actually hit the switch and it will trigger the parking brake light to go on, and then put the top down or up. The switch that is able to be replaced is this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-parking-brake-warning-light-switch-1994-2001/p/HW2315/

Attachments

• 20190424_191923.jpg
    20190424_191923.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Id say weld that back on to start if it cannot be unbolted and changed. Maybe if you tear apart console you can do something to go around the switch temporarily to put the top up and down for now?