2.3l Cat Delete?

Adam taggart

Dec 9, 2017
Is deleting the cats, or billowing them out going to make the little 2.3l run any better? Also does it throw a code if deleted, and or what's a good high flow cat option if it's better for the car?

Please let me know

• Sponsors (?)

I have noticed from your recent posts that you believe deleting the emissions systems will increase power. On a full out racecar this is fine but on a streetcar the emissions are important. You will end up adding the cats back after the car reaks of exhaust fumes.

If you do anything replace the current one with a highflow cat.

The 2.3l needs some love to be powerful... either in the form of boost or doing a dual cam Volvo head swap.... The folvo is a bad little motor.

I do not suggest this unless you have another vehicle to daily.

Knocking-out the cat won't do anything; it's not one of the awful ones from the 1970s and it's not the bottleneck.

Unfortunately the 2300 needs a lot thrown at it to make it compete with really any of its 16v contemporaries. The applicable 16v Volvo head was only made for a few years and it's a ton of work to make it work.

If you really, really want another 20hp without having to fudge a bunch of things or go turbo, a '98-00 Ranger/Mazda B2500 engine might be an option. It's going to be OBDII and probably a wiring project though.