2 questions

DKVL

Oct 12, 2008
1. When is the best time to check oil level? Before or after running the engine?

2. My car pulls to the right slightly. I changed my tires about two months ago and that did not fix the problem. I had the 2002 GT aligned right after my tire change. Please see attach file for Alignment readings. Do these numbers look normal?

I am not a great with car mechanics and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• GT.jpg
    GT.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Sponsors (?)

1. When is the best time to check oil level? Before or after running the engine?

I check it before, if possible. The reason is that after running, some oil is left up the heads etc. A true measure of oil level is made when all has drained back, such as when the car has sat for some time.

2. My car pulls to the right slightly. I changed my tires about two months ago and that did not fix the problem. I had the 2002 GT aligned right after my tire change. Please see attach file for Alignment readings. Do these numbers look normal?

The toe and camber numbers look a little off. Is the steering wheel straight when you drive in a straight line on level ground?

Question 1: Thanks!

Question 2: The steering wheel seems a bit turning to the right. If I had to quantify it, I would say it seems to turn towards the right by .25 of an inch.

When I drive on flat road, it pulls to the right slightly.

When I drive on the freeway, the pull is more noticeable.

My tires are inflated to 31.5psi on all 4. Pressures are measured weekly.

Question 2: The steering wheel seems a bit turning to the right. If I had to quantify it, I would say it seems to turn towards the right by .25 of an inch.

When I drive on flat road, it pulls to the right slightly.

When I drive on the freeway, the pull is more noticeable.

My tires are inflated to 31.5psi on all 4. Pressures are measured weekly.

Keep in mind that roads and highways have a "crown" (centre higher than the curbs/shoulders) built into them to assist in water drainage. This will often make a car feel like it wants to "pull" slightly to the right.

If you've got a condition where the wheel is slightly to the right when going straight ahead, you've got an alignment issue (I know..."duh...") So:

- check the tie rod ends (inner and outer) for ball-joint wear
- check the lower ball joints for wear
- check the wheel bearings for looseness
- check for brake drag on that wheel
- check the steering rack bushings
- check the lower control arm and bushings
- check the K-member

Has the car ever hit a curb or been in an accident such that the frame was tweaked? Visually, is the right front wheel centered in the wheel well as the left-side? Or is there a difference between the two?