2002 V6 Exhaust System

Danny P

Feb 2, 2018
With the picture I provided, can anyone tell me if that is a catalytic converter, or a muffler??

Attachments

• 99C5B6FA-F05D-41EB-831C-F76A5BA7DCFF.jpeg
    99C5B6FA-F05D-41EB-831C-F76A5BA7DCFF.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Sponsors (?)

Also, I know 99-04 GT’s come with a dual exhaust from factory. Can I use exhaust portion from the axel back to where the exhaust stops in a v6 for my year? I wanting to do a full exhaust because on my v6 it cuts off just before the axle and I would like extend it all the way just like a GT.

The pieces will not fit together.

With fabrication, anything is possible. The thing to be concerned with is that your Mustang has what is known as a "tuned exhaust". You WILL lose power by hacking up your exhaust. It is WAY better to do a little research, and purchase a "system" where the pieces are designed to work together.

If you kill exhaust scavenging, you will lose performance. That V6 doesn't need that.

It actually has an exhaust setup from the cats back, that I didn’t put in, but came with the car when I bought it. Welded Thrush Exhaust. How I plan to do this would be to keep the cats( Keep the cats so that I still pass emissions testing), just cut off the Thrush Mufflers welded on and continue the exhaust all the way to the rear bumper. Keep in mind the mufflers are right at rear axle. One last thing is the exhaust right now actually a true dual.

It actually has an exhaust setup from the cats back, that I didn’t put in, but came with the car when I bought it. Welded Thrush Exhaust. How I plan to do this would be to keep the cats( Keep the cats so that I still pass emissions testing), just cut off the Thrush Mufflers welded on and continue the exhaust all the way to the rear bumper. Keep in mind the mufflers are right at rear axle. One last thing is the exhaust right now actually a true dual.

Hold that thought. Let me dig something up.

Yes, that is what I mean but I just need this portion because my mustang has a dual exhaust that someone put in it. Also I included what my exhaust setup is as of right now.

Attachments

• 35262E5F-8FC0-4849-B18F-5DD7700F22E7.jpeg
    35262E5F-8FC0-4849-B18F-5DD7700F22E7.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 182
I do not have a Y-pipe to this dual setup. True dual from the headers back

Ok... This is as close as I could get you.

It would still need to be taken to a muffler shop, adjusted, then welded into place in order to fit properly:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-5212PR/86-97-Mustang-LX-Stainless-Steel-Tailpipes

My suggestion would be to hold off purchasing until you find your "guy" to do the cutting and welding. Then show him this and talk about the approach. It fits on SN cars so it should fit with some adjustments.

I just looked at it and it’s perfect. Just what I needed. Been looking around and I have no found not a single thing until you helped me. Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user