2003 cobra wheel and Tire Combo....Will it RUB?!?!

itguy1984

Nov 9, 2005
I have a set of 10.5 inch wide Rims on my Cobra that fit. Right now 275's are sitting on the rim but i want to go to 315-35-17's. will those fit with out rubbing?

Thanks

J

• Sponsors (?)

itguy1984 said:
I have a set of 10.5 inch wide Rims on my Cobra that fit. Right now 275's are sitting on the rim but i want to go to 315-35-17's. will those fit with out rubbing?

Thanks

J
Depends on what brand of 315. Unfortunately, not all 315's are the same width! The Nitto 315 will fit without rubbing unless the suspension is fully unloaded, then the sidewall can rub the IRS bolt. Any other 315 will require some grinding on the IRS bolt in order to achieve enough clearance to be safe.

I currently have a set of Nitto 315's on AFS 17X10.5's and I'm running a "Button Head" IRS bolt which gives me plenty of clearance. I'm ordering a set of Goodyear GS-D3's 315's to replace the Nittos. In order to get those to fit without rubbing I'm going to have to add a set of 3/8 inch spacers and some extended reach lug nuts.

U.M.

Well i am looking at getting the Nitto 555r's and wan to make sure they will not rub.

Where can i get this "Button bolt" and can you show me what it looks like? Also what size?

thanks for the help!

itguy1984 said:
Well i am looking at getting the Nitto 555r's and wan to make sure they will not rub.

Where can i get this "Button bolt" and can you show me what it looks like? Also what size?

thanks for the help!
You won't find a button head bolt anywhere trust me. It was a limited time offer from a member over on SVTPerf about 2 years ago.

The Nitto 315 on the STOCK 17X9 rim won't rub. The Nitto 315 on a 17X10.5 rim will only rub when the suspension is fully unloaded. What 99% of the Cobra owners do is take a grinder to the IRS bolt and shave about half of the bolt head down. This is enough to keep the inner tire sidewall from rubbing the IRS bolt when the suspension is unloaded.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of grinding the IRS bolt you can get a set of 3/8 inch spacers and extended lugs which will provide the needed clearance for Nitto 315's on a 10.5 inch wide rim.
wheel_spacer1.jpg

You can get the spacers and lugs from here: http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/catalog/productDetails.php?productID=1168

U.M.

I did not shave the IRS bolt with my 10.5 rim & 315 Nitto's. But like U.M. said it will only rub if you get airborn. So don't do any jumps. I did go back and grind down the bolt when I did my brakes, just for a peace of mind.