295/35/18 rubber isnt cutting it, what should I upgrade to?

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
The 295/35/18 Kumho MX rubber in the rear (18x10.5s) is getting on my nerves. My rims stick out a little, no sidewall protection, and are very vulnerable to curb rash. I've already destroyed the outer "lip" of one rim from rubbing it on a gutter I didn't see and misjudged the distance.

So, I went down to Discount Tire Co, the place where I bought the tires locally, and the guy said if I want to upgrade to fatter tires, I would only have to pay the difference between them and the price of the ones I have on there now. My reasons for upgrading would be 50% for looks, and 50% for protection. Right now, they don't look that wide at all. I am running 265/35/18 in the front for my 18x9's and don't plan on changing that.

I don't want a taller tire, just a fatter (sideways) one. I need sidewall protection, and more width for the muscular appearence. The MX's are really nice tires, but their size is just not cutting it.

Any help is appriciated. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The biggest you can go is 315/30R18, and they are hard to come by with a large price tag. About the only tire that I know of in that size that is remotely affordable is the BFGh g-Force T/A Drag Radial @ $244 from the tire rack. That tire would be great for traction and look great on your rims, but it is a drag radial.

How about some BFG DR's in 315/30's?
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...oductType=TIRE&index=0&productCodeIndex=38349
mtahzf.ang.jpg

Attachments

• mtahzf.ang.jpg
    mtahzf.ang.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 113
Craig Mack said:
DR's wear like butter, and arent good in the rain. Actually, my Kumho's are probably more expensive than those. I'd rather have a street tire though.

The MX does not come in that size. There are a few and I mean a few other brands that do, but they will cost $350+ per tire. The BFG d/r is just the most affordable, and I saw that you had Kumho tires and figured this is what you were looking for.

Maybe you can try something like Toyo or one of those other brands, maybe Nitto makes something.

dougs01gt said:
what rims do you have?? I have 18x10 saleen rims in the rear and im wondering about tires also?? where have you found the beat prices??

I have about 500 miles on Goodyear F1 GS-D3s that replaced the stock Pirelli's on my Saleen. The GS-D3s are sweet. Smoother ride, better launch and not as much whiplash in the pavement seams like I was getting off the Pirellis. Best price is from Tire Rack. I had mine ordered through NTB and they did the install.

Well the catch is, I have to order through Discount Tire Company to get the "pay only the difference" discount. :( Honest to God, it's like the rims look narrower. The first week I had them they looked soo meaty and fat. Maybe the outer most tread wears off immediently or something.

Craig Mack said:
Well the catch is, I have to order through Discount Tire Company to get the "pay only the difference" discount. :( Honest to God, it's like the rims look narrower. The first week I had them they looked soo meaty and fat. Maybe the outer most tread wears off immediently or something.
315 Nitto DRs will hook hard look good and dont wear that fast. And seriously they are great in the rain. I really have to try to break them loose.

Guys,

What about 295/45/18 rubber instead of 35? More sidewall protection, fatter look, etc. right? Or will these not fit? I hear Lightnings run this setup. Would these tires just be wider, or taller as well?

Check it out, only $196, which means Discount Tire Co. would pay me back, ha. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...h=false&partnum=945WR8F1GSFO&fromCompare1=yes

Some from their site: http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/findTireProductsBySize.do

If the thin 9.5" Lightning rims can wear these I see no reason why my 10.5's cant. Would these adversely effect handling or acceleration?

GinoGT said:
Dude, that tire would be HUGE! About 28.5". You could run them if you had adjustable LCA's, but they would look weird and probably throw your ABS light on.

D'oh.

Is there A N Y logical reason that you guys can think of as to why my current tires would have "shrank"? The sidewall seems like they've thinned pretty significantly and become less meaty. It happened about 7-10 days after I got them, and it was a noticeable, wtf? type of difference. I've only had the tires like 2-3 weeks. It's not all in my head becuase I have had NUMEROUS people tell me they don't look as wide, people who aren't even into cars. My brother, his friend, a fellow classmate, even my own mother. I LOVED the wide rich look at first, but they seem like they have punied out? :shrug: I know I am not crazy damn it, but this has never happened to me before.

i have bfg 295/35/18 and work well, about your side wall, what tire psi do you run. makes a big difference, you want to run 35psi on the track and 20 for draging
do more searching on the net ,,tires r cheaper then that lol
i got 265/35/18 bfg kdw in front ant 295/35/18 bfgs in rear only 600 new for all,found on e bay lol
and i found viper tires 315/40/18 for 200 dollars new on the net
keep looking better prices r there
i want wider too for my supercharger but i rub in the fender well with my 295s so i dont see fitting without raising my car,