3.55 vs. 3.73 Gears

95Doug5.0

Nov 18, 2004
What should I get, 3.55 or 3.73 gears? Primary concerns with the 3.73's are gas mileage and what kind of RPM's will I be pulling at 75mph if I have 17 inch rims? I already know how quick the 3.73's get up there, my buddy has them, but I was curious if this is going to be a toll on my engine and if it is going to effect my gas mileage SIGNIFICANTLY.

• Sponsors (?)

Go with 3.73s. There is not that much difference in them. There are some people driving around with 4.10 in 5 speed, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Welcome to the boards BTW!!!
attachment.php

Attachments

• gear ratio charts2.jpg
    gear ratio charts2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 18,828
Those graphs show RPM versus speed which is a little deceptive. The difference in RPM at a 75 is about 200 RPM if memory serves me correctly.

I can't comment about gas mileage. My gears were installed around last October and I haven't put 500 miles on my car since then. :D

Joe

chefster said:
in same dilema,you can see the difference at 3000 rpms...114 vs 94.big difference if its a daily driver...
You shouldn't compare the stock versus 3.73. There is no basis for comparison. Compare the speed @ 3000 RPM in 5th gear between the 3.55 and 3.73. It's a 5 MPH difference. Unless your car traps 135+ or you like to drive 120 MPH all the time, I don't see the reason for not getting a 3.73.
chefster said:
i am going with the 355..like the new gts are doing
The new GT needs another another full turn, too. People complain of them being gutless because they don't have enough gear.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
I'd go 4.10's I wish I had with my 3.73's. My gas mileage went UP by 1-2 mpg on both highway and in town. I was getting 14-15 mpg in town and after the 3.73's I was getting 16-17 on a regular basis. Yes my car was daily driven at that time.

First gear is useless in a Mustang unless you have 2.73 gears. They simply make too much torque, and combine that with a 3.35 first gear and you've got a whole bunch of tire smoke. I can make any car have "no first gear" if I tried hard enough. :D

My Dad let me drive his old 68 Fastback to Prom when I was in highschool. With a worked HiPo 289, a top loader 4-speed, and a 4.56 gear, that car wouldn't get traction unless you were going 25 MPH in 4th gear. :D

Joe