3.73 made me slower?

doubt this would be the problem but i could see it happen.

with the lower gears the RPMs climb much faster. maybe the stock cats start to restrict the engine trying to rise rpms that fast and cause a power loss.

but the stock cats could handle the stock gears because the rpms werent rising as fast and they could get the exhaust out more efficiently.

• Sponsors (?)

it seems to me like your procrastination to shift into 4th gear is what did it. like 25th said, trying to hold out 3rd and taking it out of its power band, and then finally shifting into 4th because you feel like you have to right before the line is probably a contributing factor

It was my timing, had a guy at the strip help me out, we got it to 14 deg. and the car ran way better. Huge change and i messed up a tad on the shift RPM's a little and still got a very nice 14.1 out of it. Im going back this friday before i get the D/R's and seeing what i can do now that the car is running good. Thanks for the help guys.

R/T .171
60 ft. 2.076
1/8 8.937
MPH 79.46
1/4 13.864
MPH 99.66

R/T was kinda slow, but on street tires and my mild mods this seems like a pretty good time :) Still no D/R's im having trouble finding a good wheel/tire combo..

awesome, Nice to see your improving. Those drag radials will help out a lot more for your next run. Keep us posted how you do after the DR's

Hey guys, got a tad bit of a better time ;p I really think thats all the street tires can handle though, for what they are its amazing what they have been able to handle but i want to see some nice low 13's. Im getting the tires and wheels on order this friday and will post my experiance and what tire/wheel combo i went with. Here is the time slip though.

R/T .066
60' 2.073
1/8 8.918
MPH 79.90
1/4 13.849
MPH 99.35

I have got that mph in the 1/4 up to 99.8 but i lost traction really bad off the start. I have found a few tricks that have really seemed to help and its really fun taking the car down the track, with some traction i wont have to do so much to keep the car from spinning and losing all that time playing around with the gas pedal. I'll keep you guys posted though and hope everyone is having an awesome summer :)

:lol: (My exact thought when i opened the box) I was looking for some 15 inch wheels and some D/R's, couldnt really find any. They hook pretty good on the street and they feel good so im not to sure what they are going to do at the track. We'll see, and its a tad late to send them back lol.

13.808, it was a pretty horrible day to be racing. 99% humidity and even with those huge tires i still lost traction, dont know if it was the weather or just the nittos not wanting to hook up.... My car is still doing that thing where the RPM's drop to about 400 then shoot up to 700-800 then back down to 600... Have no clue whats going on but thats alot of tire and i really dont think im pushing that much HP to be losing grip...could have been the track.. I've noticed good days and off days...even then it should have beat my old time by more then .0X ....

My guess is your using the stock cam, correct? The same thing happened to me.
Rule of thumb for stock cammed 5.0's.

Aod = 373
5spd = 355's

I had 373's and went to 410's and went slower!:(
It's too much gear for the cam, PERIOD!

yeah, thats not the truth!

what gear ratio are the factory stock cars running???

why do you think that most people do the 3.73 to start or even 4.10s.

So "no", I'm not wrong!

there is no "right" answer here. if you do a search on people who did stock gears to 3.73s or 4.10s, there would be hundreds with great results and a bunch with slower results. alot of it isnt just doing gears and flooring it off the line, a lot of it depends on the driver and his/her abilites (not saying the origninal thread starter is bad), but everyone has different levels.