347 winter build. Whats the "latest" and greatest?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i've been out of the game for a few years. im going to be putting together a 347. christmas bonus will give me a nice amount to play with.

i have some driveline stuff planned in addition. so i want to keep this fairly budget right now. i have some parts now that use to be good, but i'm not sure what everyone is getting better results out of now. it will be a street/rare track car. maybe more track if i get addicted.

1) trickflow heads, twisted wedge. i plan to keep these.

2) trickflow intake, i think its a street or track heat. is there a better one? the R intake? systemax 2? rpm 2? :shrug:

3) is ed curtis still the man for camshafts?

i have every other bolt-on covered for now. just want a nice 11 sec street car with nice manners. i have an sct chip lined up for a tune when the time comes.

• Sponsors (?)

why 347? would be cheaper and make more power to do a 351, only reason to go with a 347 would be if you got a killer deal, or are really trying to keep nose weight down, but seeing as how you got smokedya's coupe im gonna guess you are gonna drag race, btw you'll notice in my sig i went with a 347 and only because i got a killer deal on it

i just want to keep simplicity of a 302 based engine. nose weight helps a bit. the car doesn't get any traction as it is now with my 315ish rwhp. so the 380 ballpark i plan out of a 347 should be good.

if i was to swap 351, i'd end up doing a roller conversion and probably a 408. it will just get out of hand..

who do you recommend for porting? ballpark on their pricing if you know it?

systemax is the king for intakes now i take it. i see quite a few of those and the rpm 2. the performer 2 seemed to be a high rpm performer though. i want streetable power. idle to 6k range. i shift at 6000ish now if im really in it.

375+ rwhp would be great.

Just build a 11:1, 357" motor. Its really not that complicated, people make it out to be more work than it is. Just a matter of swapping a couple brackets, oil pan, and headers. Chances are your buying a new pan and headers anyways.

Take your heads, call trick flow and ask them how much to CNC port them, also call TEA and ask them the same thing, then bolt them on the 351, get a custom cam, and order a new intake. Also, look into tight lash solid rollers, they dont need the maintenence like some solid rollers do, and you could save by not changing to a roller

The 351 blocks are way stronger, and cheaper, you will make more power for less money.

I think where most the money comes into play would be the machine work on the block itself I bought a block off a guy for cheap and it already had the machine work done to it, the receipts say it was almost $800.00 for them to bore it and notch the cylinder skirts.. The 347 kit is fairly cheap online but when you start adding up the costs you could spend the same amount of money towards a 351 and get more power, if I had a 351 I know thats the motor Id be building

well your right in some area's. i was planning a new intake, canton pan, girdle, ect for a 302 block. i was however, just going to grab a used shortblock with some nice rotating assembly. if/when? i decide to boost it, it would come with the addition of a dart block.

is a 351 with the same h/c/i setup as my 347 would have, going to make any more power? the guy i got the car from made 331/339 if i recall out of his 351. so that seems to be roughly on par with what i could expect from a 347. he has afr's and a trickflow r upper. so i'm not really seeing a giant difference in numbers. UNLESS i was to stroke the 351 and go deeper into it? maybe thats a bad example. what numbers would that lay down?

trickflow heads ported, trickflow r intake (non-boxed), fci cam, roller conversion, then the usual maf/tb/longtubes/tune.

i definately want a roller engine. depending on how much it all costs, i might just get the heads reworked, new intake, new cam and longtubes and drive this engine some more i guess.

Same part on each and the 347 makes MORE power ALL day every day! ;)

Unless you're going to do a 351 based stroker, hands down go 347.

that was exacty my point.

i dont want to do a 351 based stroker on top of everything else to get gains. it does not cost less that way, nor does it make more power.

i want to keep it 302 based, if i need more power ill boost it. :nice:

looks like ill be settling on this for a combo;

347, tfs cnc heads, systemax intake, ed curtis cam, 30#, 80mm maf, 75mm tb, lt's, o/r h pipe, magnaflow catback, rockers, anderson n/a power pipe.

at the same time, ill get a canton pan, girdle, ect while its apart.

transmission will be a tko 600, and im going to change from 4:10s to 3:55's.

keep 4:10s? it wont see the track much. i didn't grab at all with 285's on the back when it was dry out in 1st and 2nd. adding all this power, i wanted to gear it taller to help that hopefully.

10-4 on injectors.

I had 4.30's in my old car 11:1 347 with trickflows, trickflow R intake and Ed Curtis cam. Don't ask me why I sold it because I don't know but that set up worked good and pulled over 6,500 which is why it needed the steeper gear. Your set up should do even better.

Just a thought, If you get the stroker kit look for the best set up for your combo, I have a all forged set up Its alot better spending the extra money on nicer parts then having to screw up and start from scratch I learned that the hard way

Definetely have the heads Cnc'ed or sell them and buy the cnc'ed set.
Without better flowing heads you really aren't going to get your money's worth of a 347.

john ya gotta do a 351! get it out of a 94+ truck stroke it to 408 or 427:nice: add heads and S/C dont look back! My 351 made crappy power yes because of the horrible cam choice it's not even good for a mild 302!peace

john:p