351w And Afr 225cc Heads

tschellinger2

Mar 29, 2014
Hi, I am currently building a 1992 coupe foxbody and was running into some questions I had before going ahead and getting my engine built. I plan on building a 408w and putting a set of AFR 225's on it. These heads as you probably already know have exhaust ports that are raised 0.375" higher than stock which will throw off the geometry of how things sit in the engine compartment (mainly the headers). I am running a tubular Team Z K member with a flaming river manual rack, and I am planning on running a tko 600 trans. I would like to be able to lower the car a little bit and don't want to run into ground clearance issues, as I know a lot of headers available tend to hang low to the ground. So my question is what set of headers have worked for any of you who have run a similar setup? Am I better off contacting a vendor such as Kooks and having them build a custom set of headers once the engine is built and installed in the car so I can give them the proper measurements to build off of? I know this topic has been covered in the past, so excuse me ahead of time for asking. I've read multiple threads throughout this forum and others, but nobody was ever able to give a straight answer to the topic from what I've read. Thanks for your help! -Taylor

• Sponsors (?)

I guess now to add to this, I just spoke with a rep at Kooks and the set of custom headers they sell for a 351w running afr225's will not work with a team z k member. Unless I want to bring the car to them and have them fabricate something that will work for my setup which could run close to $2700. Got some more digging to do!

Once you get into aftermarket k members the "order out of the book" headers/parts starts to get complicated. Which you already know. The higher exh port on the AFR heads is a pita. I know kooks has headers for them and a stock member and I thought they have them for a UPR member. Have you checked into Hooker super comps? How about Stainless works? I know they have some for TFS high ports. Nice car btw! you should have a build thread. Good luck.