3rd gear bog? Tuning question..

OinkAodeOink

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2002
Daytona bch, Florida
Cars acting funny...

under normal traffic driving, 1st gear, and 2nd gear ( automatic) seem to do fine.. although im getting a slight bog just after each shift.. but when shifting into 3rd i get a pretty bad bog.. vacuum goes from the normal 15-18" to 0", and the car just doesnt wana pull forward.. As this happens, the car is sputtering, and blowing black smoke.. load percentages in the tweecer range from 80-90% at this point, and total timing 15-16*, this all happens from 1400rpm-Up, if under a normal load. Now if i let off just a tad and lighten the load ( comes down to 30-40%, 30ish* timing), it settles down and smooths out, and i can acclerate...Its odd how it just hangs up in only 3rd!
In my datalog, i am seeing 199% load at WOT.

Has me thinking theres a dead spot in the timing or fuel curve? Possibly the MAF curve? I have a datalog, if anyone can view it and offer advise.. PM me for it.

Another thing.. if i take off from a stop, it wont even spin the tires.. seems like it has no low end timing.. didnt used to do this. when i hit boost it makes up for it and jsut smokes the tires all through 1st and 2nd, the second it hits 3rd it just bogs, blows black smoke, and the rpms hang up from 3000rpm to about 5000rpms, and from 5000-5500 it picks back up and pulls like a mofo...

By the way, i still cant log into the tweecer forum, so if someone wants to do a super nice favor for me, could you register for me ( use my stangnet name) and PM me the password for log in.. maybe thatll work ?

Thanks for the help guys!

• Sponsors (?)