4.6 2V TFS heads, timing cover won’t go back on

2VSlowstang

May 28, 2021
AK
Someone point me in the right direction, i’m at lost as hell. So recently i’ve Installed TFS heads and comp stage 2 cams on my 99 Gt. i’m at the point now of just having to button the engine back together and fill with fluids BUT THE DAMN TIMING COVER WILL NOT GO ON. i can’t get the dowels to line up on the bottom cause it feels like the cover is hitting something. i go to look and see what the hold up is and it looked like it was running into the Driver side Tensioner guide. i don’t know how that’s even possible or if that’s why but i took a grinder and lightly ground down that area of the timing cover to see if jt would clear the timing guide, well it clears but it’s still hitting something or is crooked and nothing lines up. god, anyone have any issues with this or am i just plain retarded?

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE, I found out I need the 2001+ crank trigger wheel and that's why the timing cover wouldn't fit properly. That and because the driver side tensioner isn't fully extended causing the tensioner arm to be in the way, you can simply just pry down with a flat head to make it clear. doesn't take much force just a bit of finesse. However, as i said.. without the thinner 2001+ trigger wheel the whole timing cover wont go on regardless. I'm using TFS timing full timing kit, i ordered the Crank wheel from MHS for like 40 dollars. i'm assuming the reason why i cannot use the original 2000 and below trigger wheel is because i had my cams degreed by MHS and they use a rolling pin to combine the 2 crank gears into one. Now that its a one piece design and not 2, i cannot use the thicker Crank wheel. it'd be like if you used a 2001+ chain gear(which are one piece) you cant use a 2000 and below crank trigger with it or youd have the problem i got currently. Moral of the story? :leghump: ford for being so damn difficult.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE, I found out I need the 2001+ crank trigger wheel and that's why the timing cover wouldn't fit properly. That and because the driver side tensioner isn't fully extended causing the tensioner arm to be in the way, you can simply just pry down with a flat head to make it clear. doesn't take much force just a bit of finesse. However, as i said.. without the thinner 2001+ trigger wheel the whole timing cover wont go on regardless. I'm using TFS timing full timing kit, i ordered the Crank wheel from MHS for like 40 dollars. i'm assuming the reason why i cannot use the original 2000 and below trigger wheel is because i had my cams degreed by MHS and they use a rolling pin to combine the 2 crank gears into one. Now that its a one piece design and not 2, i cannot use the thicker Crank wheel. it'd be like if you used a 2001+ chain gear(which are one piece) you cant use a 2000 and below crank trigger with it or youd have the problem i got currently. Moral of the story? :leghump: ford for being so damn difficult.
So was the tfs heads and cams worth the money? I was thinking of getting them but seems like mixed reviews on the hp gains.

So was the tfs heads and cams worth the money? I was thinking of getting them but seems like mixed reviews on the hp gains.
well, so far i got no idea. still isn’t running yet. i will say, for all the money i’m putting into this i could’ve bought a Procharger or a turbo kit and just made 400Whp like everyone else does. i actually never intended to buy TFS heads. my intent was cams only. i only bought them because during the cam install in my stock PI heads, one of my cam caps snapped in half and i basically had no other choice but to drop the money

Reactions: 1 user