Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

• Sponsors(?)

MustangIIMatt

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
So, this filter debacle is part of my Nova refresh. For those interested, some time ago I bought a 1977 Nova 350 4Spd. as a cruiser. It has 77k original miles and has all it's original drivetrain etc. Bucket seat, console, gauges, F41, so really nicely optioned.
It needed some cleanup from lack of direction by earlier owners, so I am removing the drivetrain to re-gasket, re-seal and maintenance/ wear items such as hoses, filters, timing set, oil pump etc. will be replaced. The thing ran like a top, but leaked everywhere.
Also,somebody spray bombed the engine black, and I want to return it to original blue.
Engine is now out and on a stand, replaced the timing set already, next is oil pump and rear main seal.
Also found out why the trans was leaking oil so badly was that some idiot overfilled it as well.

Sorry for pic quality. It's time for a new phone....... I have chucked this one across the room too many times now....:rolleyes:
Gonna stay with the Quadrajet or upgrade?

429MII

Mustang Master
Mar 10, 2019
British columbia Canada
As much as it pains me...and it does...I am sticking to stock on this thing. It's too original and complete to mess with. Oh how I have agonized on swapping the cam and ditching the EGR system...:confused: Hot rodding this would be so much simpler.

MustangIIMatt

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
As much as it pains me...and it does...I am sticking to stock on this thing. It's too original and complete to mess with. Oh how I have agonized on swapping the cam and ditching the EGR system...:confused: Hot rodding this would be so much simpler.
Swap the cam and disable the EGR with a BB?

I'm actually not a Quadrajet hater. Though they're a pain to tune, once you get them right, they're right, and they're well engineered enough that one 780-795cfm design could be used on engines from 283 to 500 cubic inches without issue. Nobody else came close to that, and Ford used Q-jets on some models because of just how good they really are.

I'd find an early 80s aluminum Q-jet intake to play with, rebuild the stock Q-jet and tune it, and disable the EGR with a BB in the vacuum hose. It'd look stock, and with that and a mild cam it should pick up some noticable power while looking for all the world like a smog-era stocker. :cool:

429MII

Mustang Master
Mar 10, 2019
British columbia Canada
Yeah, the engine ran absolutely perfect when I took it out, so the Q-Jet was tuned well/happy.
I'm not too worried about the EGR affecting performance, it's just the engines look so much better without all the hoses, pipes, sensors and valves.
Today I replaced the hard crumbly valve seals which are a joke on SBC engines. ....Found a slightly bent pushrod so I replaced them all....
I usually have aftermarket heads and positive valve seals which are much better when you're using bronze guides. In this case I have cast iron guides and little rubber o-rings lol. hope to have some progress pics tomorrow.

429MII

Mustang Master
Mar 10, 2019
British columbia Canada
Ok here is the before pic (what I started with)

Attachments

• 20210313_121459.jpg
    20210313_121459.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 20

2Blue2

will be trying this sex one when I can find it
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Well thats looking nice and fresh.
Sure glad you painted it Ford blue LOL:D:p;)

429MII

Mustang Master
Mar 10, 2019
British columbia Canada
So time consuming.... have the carb to restore next.... and the engine compartment to clean and detail. Still waiting on my transmission gaskets to arrive. It takes 2 to 3 weeks to get any parts now from the U.S...
Also UPS are absolute thieves for shipping. My last 38 dollar item cost me 177.00 in freight and brokerage.
To keep that in perspective, the same items shipped fedex are about 30 dollars freight and brokerage. I live about 30 min from border, so in non Covid times I pay same freight as anyone in the U.S. so that 177.00 would be either free or about 9 bucks.

Attachments

• 20210403_185612.jpg
    20210403_185612.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210403_185634.jpg
    20210403_185634.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 12

429MII

Mustang Master
Mar 10, 2019
British columbia Canada
A little Mustang update in the middle of Nova job.

Ordered my electric fan and water pump controller and water pump from Davies craig, It was cheaper to get it out of Australia. So.. package arrived sort of temporarily.., we use community mailboxes here so when I get a package they are supposed to put a door tag at my house so it alerts me to pick up at post office. I don't go to the mailbox very often, maybe every two weeks so I go there and the door tag and notice card are both in the mailbox. I go down to the post office, and they say because I never picked it up in time they sent it back to Australia. Yay. So because of their screw up it costs me now another 100 bucks and two weeks to get it back.. grrr.
Also I figured out the output for the adapter aims the lower hose spout at the wrong side for the rad i have..oops...well It's not like I haven't modified anything before lol..

Reactions: 2Blue2 and LILCBRA