Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

20200504_214156.jpg

ok.. 3 down...now on to pipe 4....not the prettiest sweeping tube design, but once it's in there you can't see it anyway lol...

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Holy crap, looking like there was some finagling to get that wiggling snake in there

1/4 fender well headers, your the first on your block, just fun 2C;):D:O_o:

20200510_193837.jpg
20200510_193857.jpg
20200510_193913.jpg
20200510_193931.jpg

So I managed 3 tubes in and 1 out on the pas side, and it all fits in there with not much room to spare. I tried for 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch clearance but a couple of spots are about a 1/4 inch. I may have to do some more cutting, however I don't anticipate this engine will move around much considering all the mounts.

Reactions: 3 users
Now......the side I thought would be easier until I remembered there is a steering shaft and a dipstick that need to co-habit the space.....Do you like my funnel and hose steering shaft replica? My father in law looked in there and said " that hose will probably melt because of the headers....:O_o::O_o: um... o..k....lol..

20200510_194004.jpg
20200510_194014.jpg

So .. now i guess I get to deal with my steering shaft first and then move on the these headers. I am toying with cutting the weird end off my steering shaft and adapting some normal shaft and joints.
Has anyone cut the end off the column shaft before? My guess is it's hollow and about 3/4" id.... because it is 1" od and appears to be .125 wall material.

Reactions: 1 user
I've only modified the intermediate shaft between the r&p and the column. It was cast and solid, but unfortunately I don't remember if the column was solid or if it was a tube of some sort, it's been a while. Seems like the end was solid, but I might be thinking of a Fox since that was the last one I've messed with. Maybe @74stang2togo can tell you since he was just in that area...?

The shaft coming out of the column is rectangular on the end, and is relatively thin stuff. It's actually two pieces inside the column, and with a bit of pressure, you can push the part that sticks out of the firewall and the joint up towards the column.

So I cut the existing shaft with the joint and couple that matches the column. I then hand filed it to a double d shape and I'm going to use a coupler to gain clearance and add some DD shaft to the adapter u joint at the rack. Pics shortly...

Reactions: 2 users