5.0 pull-out for swap into non-Ford...What do I need?

Tremelune

Apr 18, 2021
Los Angeles
I'm pricing out a Cobra replica build, and it's looking like the cheapest/easiest way to get a fuel-injected 302 and T5 in is by pulling them out of a '93-95 5.0 Mustang. This is something of a sanity check...

What exactly do I need for such a transplant to drop in and run? Assuming the alternator fits (I don't need power steering or air conditioning), if I grab the intake, headers, throttle body, and ECU, will the engine "just work", or are there any further tricks in play? Is there a good article on how this is done? Anything else is worth grabbing if I just need the motor to run and gears to shift?

I tried searching around for "pull-out" or "take-out", but I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

Is this worth doing anymore, or will I come out ahead buying a turn-key rebuild...? My plan was to find an engine that was running well, replace any seals/gaskets, visually inspect the internals, and hope for the best.

im]g

• Sponsors (?)

it's looking like the cheapest/easiest way to get a fuel-injected 302 and T5 in is by pulling them out of a '93-95 5.0 Mustang.

Hmmm... :chin Good luck with that one.

You might have better luck with a 96 to 01 Explorer. Seems like those are drying up too.

You need the engine, accessory drive (all of it, even the parts you won't end up using but you can leave the A/C compressor... I'd take it anyway if it's there), the harness, and ECU.

From there, you can adapt to gauges etc... You should get the entire inlet tract to include the Mass Air Meter and even the airbox.

You should also take everything out to and including the throttle linkage (this will give you options later).

If you pull it be real careful not to cut or damage any portion of the harness.

Your alternative would be to purchase an aftermarket tuning kit. No A9L required and no ancient OEM harness required.

Again though, if you find a donor with all of these parts.... [Take Them]! :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Which cobra replica kit are you going with?

if factory five
I'm pricing out a Cobra replica build, and it's looking like the cheapest/easiest way to get a fuel-injected 302 and T5 in is by pulling them out of a '93-95 5.0 Mustang. This is something of a sanity check...

im]g

That's relative. The price of decent Mustangs has been climbing, and wrecked cars tend to be pricey due to the fact that they are still valuable in parts. That means cheap donors tend to be hoopties with 100-200K miles on it, and will need to be gone through in detail with many parts being replaced. This will run costs up.

Explorer motor's are a good option, but without a fox donor it's still starts to get expensive when you chasing down all the various bits and pieces you need to get the engine running.

I'm familiar with the Factory Five cobra kits, and there are different levels of kit you can buy with a base kit requiring an entire Fox donor as you'll use many parts off it, and then kits where all you need are the engine and trans with an IRS option being included. If you are looking at a different kit, then i'm not familiar with the level of completeness required from a donor car.

I would recommend a stand-alone engine harness, such as what Painless sells. The Engine harness from a Mustang is too integrated into the body harness as well so you will go crazy trying to separate out what you don't need. Without knowing the level of kit you are getting, i suggest a entire donor car, and then part out what you don't need.

I was looking into a Factory Five cobra and decided a "cheaper" donor solution was a 96-98 Cobra. I've found a few wrecked ones for cheaper than Fox donors. Haven't bought one yet though because still undecided, and i don't have the garage space for it yet.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user