5.0 Swap Fuel Pump Wiring Question? Please Help!

breves01

Nov 23, 2015
I am installing a 1991 Mustang 5.0 GT motor / trans swap with wiring harness in a 1953 Ford Custom and my question is regarding an inline electric fuel pump that I would like to use the stock wiring and relay out of the Mustang for.
The four wires coming out of the fuel pump relay are the Green with yellow stripe which in a Stock Mustang goes to the ECC, a Pink w/Black Stripe that goes to the Starter relay / Battery, Red wire to Power Relay? and a Blue w/ Orange stripe to Pin 22 on the ECC as a ground? My questions is, can I run the Pink wire to the Battery, the Green wire to the ECC, the Red Wire to the Ignition Switch instead of the Power Relay (I am not sure how and where it tied into the power relay to begin with on the stock harness) and the Blue wire to a ground instead of back into the computer as I think I removed Pin 22 when I re-wired the computer for the swap and it would be a lot easier.
I am new to this, and I appreciate any help you can give!

• Sponsors(?)

liljoe07

5 Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cartersville,Ga
You can ground the blue/orange wire if you would like. The pump will just run constantly when the key is on and engine isn't running. Technically not the correct way to do it. But it will work. Keep in mind that the green wire that goes to the EEC is just a monitor of sorts. That green wire also needs to go to the fuel pump positive circuit.

breves01

Nov 23, 2015
Thank you for the information.
I have the green wire going from the fuel pump relay to the inertia switch and then to the positive terminal on the fuel pump.
If I wanted to do this the correct way, where would I go with the Red wire? Recap......(From the fuel pump relay) If I send the green to the ECC, the pink to the starter relay (By the way, does it matter what side of the starter relay terminals?), the blue to the ECC pin 22, where would the red wire go?
Where does the Red wire from the Fuel pump relay tie back into the main harness? Most places I read said that it goes to the Power Relay. Was it spliced into one of the red wires leaving the power relay heading towards the engine bay? Or, was it tied in somewhere else?
If I reconnect the Blue wire back to the computer at pin 22, will that solve my pump running constantly when the ignition is on? Or does that have to do with the red wire heading straight to the ignition.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

liljoe07

5 Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cartersville,Ga
Red wire comes from the EEC relay. Then the computer just grounds the blue wire to activate the fuel pump. So, yes, running the blue wire to EEC pin 22 will make it work as its supposed to. You need the Pink wire on the same side of the starter solenoid as the battery positive. Otherwise the pink wire would only have voltage when you are cranking.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
66gt5.0H Fuel Pump Problem on 93 Cobra swap 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 5
1990Coupe T5-aod Swap - No Fuel Pump Prime Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
T Fuel System For Carb Mechanical Pump 4cyl To 302 Swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
JoeDaddy Fuel Pump Swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
modulistic Modular Fox Swap. Turns Over But No Fuel Pump. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
IrritatedDave Fuel pump problem after swap/ Please help 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 2
trailblazr81 Is there a tech article for fuel pump swap? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
mike3488 mas air swap w/ fuel pump issue Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
L Mach 1 Fuel pump Swap SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 6
M E.F.I. 2 Carb swap Wiring relay 4 fuel pump. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
1 MAS air flow swap fuel pump wont turn on Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
K Help! Car runs like crap after intake swap and fuel pump replace SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
HazeGray Roush 03/04 Cobra fuel tank & pump swap... Special Production 3
93GreenLX 5.0 Swap Power Sterring/Fuel pump question Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
97StallionGT 03 Cobra swap...What fuel pump? SVT Tech Forum 2
Stangfreak95 How easy is it to swap fuel pump ? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 9
E efi swap, what fuel pump? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 13
8 Fuel pump wont turn on after motor swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
S Who has had a problem with the fuel gauge after doing a Cobra pump and tank swap? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
S Help me swap my Fuel Pump, and 1/2 tank of gas :( Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
C Engine Fox engine swap - cranks, fuel, spark and no start! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
J questions for 2.3 to 5.0 carb swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
S Fuel 1992 351w Swap Fuel Pressure Issue/problems - Please Help! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
F Crown vic swap fuel system Other Auto Tech 3
F 1991 LX Fuel sender swap question... 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 2
IN2DEEP Fuel Injection swap - power during cranking? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 1
2 1985 4 Cylinder To V8 Swap Questions Help On Fuel System And Harness Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
Paul98 1986 Fuel Injected To Carb Swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 24
C Need Help Carb Swap Fuel Pressure To High Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 29
Possessed94 Carb Swap Fuel Setup(help Needed) 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
S Final Steps To My 5.4 Swap, Please Help With Fuel System. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 3
Mr_Q Electrical swapped clusters, fuel gauge sporadic. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 8
302mustanglx carb swap fuel presure to high Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 12
screamin gt Cobra fuel tank swap into GT SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
M New here..need help after gt40p head swap WHAT SHOULD MY FUEL PRESSURE BE? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
J Relocating the Fuel Filter (IRS Swap) SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
Takt Swapped Dual Quad for a Quick Fuel Carb setup - problems Classic Mustang Specific Tech 3
ratio411 Engine swap fuel line routing/tech questions. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
9 Started my fuel inj to carb swap.. questions Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
Chuckman swapped to new harness, no crank, no fuel Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
F HELP!!! GT500/Saleen Extreme Fuel System Swap 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
K Fuel burning rich on DOHC swap SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 12
Blown331LX Anyone ever swapped over a fuel injected Ford 300 CYL in an older carb vehicle? Other Auto Tech 0
P Fuel Tank swap 70 Mach 1 Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
M return fuel line on motor swap SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
Mikey1968 Fuel Pressure Regulator Swap Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
7 EFI swap fuel line question. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
N no fuel to motor yet the sparks fine (2.3 to 5.0 swap) Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 20
P Need Tip on Fuel Line Swap Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
S 302 to 351 fuel injected swap? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3