6x9 Or 8 Inch Woofers In Rear Deck ????

from6to8

There's suction so I used that end O_O
15 Year Member
Sep 2, 2012
Has anyone ever put them in or know of anyone who has and rather there were extreme mods to get them to fit? Factory speakers were 5x7's in the rear deck I believe and I'm wanting to go to 8's in the rear deck but if too extreme and too much work to get to work, I will go with 6x9s cause there shouldn't be much work to get them to fit I would think.

I have the mach 460 box still in rear by the way. No speakers in rear deck right now

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone ever put them in or know of anyone who has and rather there were extreme mods to get them to fit? Factory speakers were 5x7's in the rear deck I believe and I'm wanting to go to 8's in the rear deck but if too extreme and too much work to get to work, I will go with 6x9s cause there shouldn't be much work to get them to fit I would think.

I have the mach 460 box still in rear by the way. No speakers in rear deck right now
I put 6x9's in my rear. (That's what she said ) I had to do a little trimming around the hole to get it to fit. (Also what she said)

I put 6x9's in my rear. (That's what she said ) I had to do a little trimming around the hole to get it to fit. (Also what she said)
Lol you crazy.
what year is your car and where you located if you dont mind me asking?

do you think it would have been harder to get the 8's to fit? Do you have the mach 460 factory box and did you have to choose 6x9's that woud work with that airspace? I would think going with 8's would be more critical as far as making sure the correct air space for whatever speakers I bought.

Lol you crazy.
what year is your car and where you located if you dont mind me asking?

do you think it would have been harder to get the 8's to fit? Do you have the mach 460 factory box and did you have to choose 6x9's that woud work with that airspace? I would think going with 8's would be more critical as far as making sure the correct air space for whatever speakers I bought.
I'm in tx and I have a 95 GT. As far as the 6x9's they were just some old ones I had laying around. I trimmed the hole w tin snips I think it was ( this was years ago)and put em in. I don't remember if I had to drill new holes for the screws or not. It was crude looking but it fit the hole and you can't see tell once everything is back in place. Sounds good no problems for 4 or 5 years now

I'm in tx and I have a 95 GT. As far as the 6x9's they were just some old ones I had laying around. I trimmed the hole w tin snips I think it was ( this was years ago)and put em in. I don't remember if I had to drill new holes for the screws or not. It was crude looking but it fit the hole and you can't see tell once everything is back in place. Sounds good no problems for 4 or 5 years now
isn't that thick metal, too thick to cut with tin snips lol

They work. It's not that thick. It won't take a sawzall or anything
were you able to trim it out from top or had to do from trunk? I know it's going to be awkward trying to trim lying in trunk. Also with the window, it will probably be hard to drill holes from top. Probably have to drill from bottom and use a nut and bolt

were you able to trim it out from top or had to do from trunk? I know it's going to be awkward trying to trim lying in trunk. Also with the window, it will probably be hard to drill holes from top. Probably have to drill from bottom and use a nut and bolt
Take the old speaker out place the 6x9 in the hole. See how much needs to be trimmed. I think I trimmed from the top

Are you thinking about 3 way, full range speakers or a true sub/woofer type speaker? Regular woofers have a much bigger selection in round styles. Sealed and ported box volume is important for best performance with a woofer.

Full range set ups have a bigger selection in 6x9. Speaker box volume size is not often included, so installation depth for top or bottom mount is often all you get to work with.

Either way, a template is usually provided, and the work you will need to do to modify the shelf is almost always easier from the trunk side.
If I could put a pair of 6x9"s in a Granada as a kid, adding them to a Stang where there are already openings should be easy with some planning.
Assuming you are going with full range speakers, the other question is if you will hear that much improvement over good factory size replacements.

Are you thinking about 3 way, full range speakers or a true sub/woofer type speaker? Regular woofers have a much bigger selection in round styles. Sealed and ported box volume is important for best performance with a woofer.

Full range set ups have a bigger selection in 6x9. Speaker box volume size is not often included, so installation depth for top or bottom mount is often all you get to work with.

Either way, a template is usually provided, and the work you will need to do to modify the shelf is almost always easier from the trunk side.
If I could put a pair of 6x9"s in a Granada as a kid, adding them to a Stang where there are already openings should be easy with some planning.
Assuming you are going with full range speakers, the other question is if you will hear that much improvement over good factory size replacements.
I am not totally sure but I have to consider what I have to work with. The amp I will be using is the Hifonics Brutus brx5000 5 channel amp to drive the entire system so if I were to get 6x9 subs then would , well let me say this. I want to be able to actually use the 6x9's as Hi's as well as decent nice bass midbass so I guess I will have to go with either the full range or the 3 way. Aren't full range and 3 way the same?

I think from what I have gathered over the years is that going from a 5x7 to a 6 1/2 or 6x9 Is pretty significant

I was trying to differentiate between a pure subwoofer vs. a 3 or more way speaker that plays all of your frequencies. Historically, a full range speaker has one cone, maybe with a whizzer cone glued on in the middle. A step up stock system as new as this car should not have one of them.

If you are running a bigger amp, I believe that justifies the extra speaker size. If it was going to be run with the stock amps, Crutchfield has some really nice sounding stuff that fits with no or minimal modifications.
I hope that was plenty of info to get you what you need.

I was trying to differentiate between a pure subwoofer vs. a 3 or more way speaker that plays all of your frequencies. Historically, a full range speaker has one cone, maybe with a whizzer cone glued on in the middle. A step up stock system as new as this car should not have one of them.

If you are running a bigger amp, I believe that justifies the extra speaker size. If it was going to be run with the stock amps, Crutchfield has some really nice sounding stuff that fits with no or minimal modifications.
I hope that was plenty of info to get you what you need.
yeah the amp i will use is 60x4 @ 4 ohms and the other channel will be for the subs. My car is a 95 by the way.

I remember the mach 460 system wasn't that loud at all really and using those amps would benefit me none

Crutchfield at least used to carry the 5x7s, but if you are up to using tin snips carefully, bigger speakers are better. Just do it neatly - so in 10 years, the next guy does not think you are a hack.

Crutchfield at least used to carry the 5x7s, but if you are up to using tin snips carefully, bigger speakers are better. Just do it neatly - so in 10 years, the next guy does not think you are a hack.
yea it will be done as neatly as can be an ease to work with :)