Fox $75k!?

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

Beautiful car, but I dont get 75k. A friend of my dad bought a red 93 cobra and parked it in the garage with the plastic still on the seats. His intent was to never drive it. Sadly he has passed and I dont know what happened to the car.

And I was so hoping that this was gonna be a good day...

And then this comes along.

What kind of dilusional buttplug buys a car, then sits on it for 3 decades hoping one day it’ll be worth more money than they paid for it?
These old white guys are the scourge of the hobby...buying up what used to be an “ everyman car” then parking the thing in one of their buildings that they built specifically for storing their old fat white guy cars that they’ll never drive, only so they can turn around and sell them to a newer generation of younger, old white guys 30 years later. And instead of driving the car, they “drive“ the price so far out of sight, the guy that would’ve driven the thing, and actually used it for its intended purpose could never dream of buying it.

Anybody who pays 75 k for that car is not only old, and white...but gay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That things been on CL for a while now. I routinely browse the Boston CL listing and it's all low-mileage high-dollar cars that don't move. That car is one of them.

Someone with an massively over-inflated northeast salary might pick it up one day, but I doubt for $75k

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with Mike. It's probably yet another boomer with a get rich quick scheme. And he'll probably have a story on how he earned his way and how a younger guy needs to earn his too, all while denying how his parents forged the way for him.

My real issue with the article is this. "It's as if someone had just taken delivery of it, but only after picking up a Journey's Greatest Hits tape at the store beforehand. " Journey's Greatest Hits came out in 1996...…..

And Journey is a terrible band to begin with, same with Rush. He would have been better off saying Metallica Black album.

And Journey is a terrible band to begin with, same with Rush. He would have been better off saying Metallica Black album.

You should appreciate all those bands. Time and place for all!!! I have albums from all three in my collection!
But I believe we have a thread for this somewhere!! ;)

Last edited:
I agree that I hate to see a performance car get bought and never used, but on the other hand I'm glad some do. Those are the cars that will hopefully end up in a museum or something so that years down the road pristine examples still exist for future generations to see.

I doubt he was old when he bought it, and have no idea what being fat or white has to do with...well anything.

The Cobra was never an everyman car. It was a limited run that was probably going to appreciate at some point. This guy bought it almost 3 decades ago clearly as an investment and it's paying off now. It could have not paid off and the car could be worth less today than what he paid for it.

He took his chances. Good for him if he gets what he's asking. I wouldn't give him 75k for it, but I'm also not his target buyer.

People used to do that. I grew up in a small New England town, and many parents of my friends had classic seventies cars . They bought them new and covered them . I remember Smokey and The Bandit Trans Ams. Mopars with six packs. Brand new Chevells all just covered up in the corner of the barn, or garage.

The problem is that it wasn't a great investment.

In other words, $20,000 in 1993 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $33,926.64 in 2017, a difference of $13,926.64 over 24 years. The 1993 inflation rate was 2.99%. The inflation rate in 2017 was 2.13%.

Now, put that same $20,000 into the stock market.

Starting January 1993
Ending May 2020

FINAL VALUE $233,000
COMPOUND GAIN PER YEAR 9.52%

Even if he sold for his full asking price of $75,000 he is well behind the stock market. Was the car sitting stored in a garage worth $158,000 of enjoyment?

Wow, I was asked by a skinny P.Rican kid half my fat white butts age why I drove my fox body to work everyday?He said I should keep it in the garage because it's a classic.He keeps his evo and only drives it on weekends.My reply , my reply: I enjoy the crap out a my car, I bought it to drive it and drive it for fun.They'll have to pry my dead ass out of it and get my wife to sell it to them.He never asked again.
IMG_20200313_171037_hdr.jpg
IMG_20191024_191940.jpg
IMG_20200417_165357_hdr.jpg

• Haha
The problem is that it wasn't a great investment.

In other words, $20,000 in 1993 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $33,926.64 in 2017, a difference of $13,926.64 over 24 years. The 1993 inflation rate was 2.99%. The inflation rate in 2017 was 2.13%.

Now, put that same $20,000 into the stock market.

Starting January 1993
Ending May 2020

FINAL VALUE $233,000
COMPOUND GAIN PER YEAR 9.52%

Even if he sold for his full asking price of $75,000 he is well behind the stock market. Was the car sitting stored in a garage worth $158,000 of enjoyment?

I dIdn't say it was a GREAT investment, but he still came out ahead. The nice thing about a tangible asset is that you still have it if it no matter what.

Imagine if he had purchased a bunch of stock in internet companies - he would have been looking good until about 2000 - when they went to 0. Or if he bought an index fund, which is fine, but sold it when the bottom fell out in 2000 or 2009. Not a great investment then.